Wolfgang

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • LocationNiefern, N48°54`31`` E8°47`10`` Germany

Posted 10 February 2015 - 09:21 AM

Hi, I am new in the Forum.

My Name is Wolfgang and I live in Germany near Stuttgart.

I have Meade LS 6" and Problems with the Alignment. The Automatic Align does not work any more. Alt.Az. 2 Star work badly since the first Star (Rigel) is not run into correctly by 15-20° (geometric). I most correct strongly with Autostarhandbox an board confirm. The one exactly is like the second Star (Betelgeuse) at procedure. "Good Alignment" is then reported.

i then one Object GoTO starts, the LS can not find thr centre and I must correct again if about.

Who can help me?

Excuse for my bad English.

Se hello from Germany.

Wolfgang

Clear Skies

Wolfgang

LS6 " Meade Zero Image-Shift Microfocuser, Mark III Hyperion Clickstop Zoom 8-24mm, Canon EOS 1100D, Sony DCS V3, Reducer Antares f / 6.3,

#2 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2957 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 10 February 2015 - 03:06 PM

I have a few questions:

If you put the scope in automatic alignment, does it go through the steps to find level, North, tilt and tip correctly? What I am trying to find out is when in the process does the scope go wrong.

If you have to do things with the other processes, you will need to have your location and the correct time entered. The mount will need to be leveled with a bubble level, pointed North, and the scope pointed as horizontally as you can get it.

Hope this helps,

Bill Steen
Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

#3 Wolfgang

Wolfgang

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 03:30 AM

Hi Bill,

>If you put the scope in automatic alignment,does it go through the scope to find Level,North, tilt and tip correctly? >>> Yes!!

However, im not sure whether the Nord is found actual! In the terrestrial mode the telescope stops after the orientation towards to North, like the telescope thinks to ben on the North. The Location is always sam. The telscope is always built horizontally. The Time ist prepared for MEZ for Germany.

Does it make sense in the setup-menue to store the step to use "finders center" and new?

Firmware is V1.6a.

Exuse for my bad English.

Se hallo from Germany

Wolfgang

Clear Skies

Wolfgang

LS6 " Meade Zero Image-Shift Microfocuser, Mark III Hyperion Clickstop Zoom 8-24mm, Canon EOS 1100D, Sony DCS V3, Reducer Antares f / 6.3,

#4 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2957 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 06:11 PM

Hi Wolfgang,

Do not worry about your English. I can promise you that you are doing tremendously better than I would with German. I do not even do English all that well and that is my native language....well, American English. With a little effort and patience, I believe we can work through this.

I did a little research and found that, when in automatic, the scope normally talks to satellites and gets its location and time first. Then it finds North, then level, then it checks its tip and tilt. After that, it will try to find an alignment star......

I am thinking that you should be able to do the two star alignment process if you have chosen a city or country manually, then start out with the mount leveled, then point the scope straight North, and have the optical tube level. My main concern is that your scope may not know where it is. Some people have had trouble finding a function for entering a location manually. I have not had to try that, so I am not sure how to do it.

If you can do a daylight drive training function, it would help a lot. Normally, on my LS 8, I do one at night when the scope can see stars, but then I do not have the problems you have.

I have read elsewhere that sometimes nutty performance is from the programming getting messed up somehow. If you have or can get a 2 MB mini SD card or a 2 MB micro SD card with a mini SD size adapter (not the regular SD adapter) you can make yourself a card to reprogram the scope. I had to do this to upgrade from the 1.4A version of the software because that version could not talk to a computer. Using the mini SD card is the safest way to do this process anyway.

From what I have read and have experienced, you need to set up the AutoStar program first, then the AutoStar Updater program. You can then download the software from Meade. Assuming you have a way to read and write a Mini or micro SD card on your computer, you can then set up the SD card. You then put the card in its slot on the computer and make sure it is fully inserted and clips into place. Then, turn on the scope and it will upload from the mini SD card.

One thing you might also do is to turn on the sound and listen to what the scope says as it goes through its automatic routine. Going by what the scope says, and then letting us know, we might be able to either tell or find out where the scope is going wrong.

If what I am telling you does not make sense to you, let me know and I will try again.

Best Regards,

Bill Steen

#5 Wolfgang

Wolfgang

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 06:43 AM

Hi Bill,

thanks for extensive replay.

Maybe we shold dind out wheter the telescope then look for the Switch (in the terrestrial mode), GPS only once, then move to the North an the telescop stops. Must Point the telescope to the true North?? Because the Position in the terrestrial mode is not the true North with me. Perhaps this is because the Problem.

Last night i made a 2-star alignment. As always, rhe telescop at the first star (Rigel) drove past. Approached with compensation and the second star, corrected and OK. Then i testet the Point "Finder Center" from the Setup. He then runs an star (again Rigel) to. When the star in the Center, I hit thr Enter kay and the Display Shows: Measure Star" and Calculation and it moves no more. After two hours of telescope turned off  :-(((.

I suspect that has something mechanically adjusted in the telescope.

I guess the angle Encoder! But do not know exactly. Will try to find an apprpriate Point of contact here in Germany. Become tonigth (we have clear sky) try to Change and try again local time.

Will Report me again.

To your questions: Firmware is 1.6a and is from the beginning to the telescope. It has indeed until a month ago everrything is working properly!

Best regards .

Wolfgang Martin

Clear Skies

Wolfgang

#6 Mark Sibole

Mark Sibole

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2368 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 06:48 AM

test  image mtsoweather.gif

Mark Sibole
MTSO Observatory
Fife Lake, Mi.

http://astronomy.qteaser.com

#7 Mark Sibole

Mark Sibole

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2368 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 06:49 AM

Bill See if you can help wolfgang upload an image to here.I never used the meade on site storage so im not sure how to do it.I always upload to my site then add url to image.Thanks my friend.

Mark Sibole
MTSO Observatory
Fife Lake, Mi.

#8 Wolfgang

Wolfgang

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 07:48 AM

Hi Bill,
I try to upload an image.
greeting
WolfgangETX-LS .JPG

Clear Skies

Wolfgang

#9 Wolfgang

Wolfgang

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 11:54 AM

Hi Bill,
Here are some infomation about the current setting.
greeting
Wolfgang Martin

Attached Thumbnails

• _IGP4528 1600x1200.JPG
  • _IGP4529 1600x1200.JPG
  • _IGP4530 1600x1200.JPG

Clear Skies

Wolfgang

#10 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2957 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 03:11 PM

Thanks, Wolfgang!

Mark, is what Wolfgang posted what you were talking about? Looks like the scope knows where it is.

I am going to email John a link to this post and see what he thinks.

Bill

#11 Wolfgang

Wolfgang

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 11:40 AM

Hi Bill,
I now wanted in Germany where it can still be a problem.
This can also be a problem with the Integrated Sensor Module be that these modules goes crazy  :-). There should be a possibility this module to recalibrate. This requires a clear view of Polaris. As the exact procedure is, I do not know yet. Maybe you can find out what? Will report.
My previous Activities (Finder Centre, firmware reloaded) have shown no success.
They write that they have a LS. With them where is the telescope after the expiry "Fnd North" are ?, true magnetic north or where ??
Maybe they can test the times, it is enough of terrestical mode.
Thank you, will be active again in the new week.

I just found the following:

http://www.weasner.c...e/feb10/ls.html

I have the suspicion, for me, the GPS module is defect ??

Best regards from Germany
Wolfgang Martin

Clear Skies

Wolfgang

#12 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2957 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 05:09 PM

Hi Wolfgang,

I believe the scope finds magnetic North, then it calculates where geographic North is. It basically finds North with an internal compass. I do not know if you would get any kind of an error message if the compass was malfunctioning.

It gets its position from the GPS system. I think the scope will let you know if it cannot find GPS satellites, but I am not totally sure about that. If the GPS is not working, I think you would get some kind of message about the scope not being able to find satellites.

I will see if I can do a little research on some of this.

Best Regards,

Bill Steen

#13 Wolfgang

Wolfgang

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 14 February 2015 - 03:45 AM

Hi Bill, Thanks for the reply.

I think they are right. GPS should be fine! Yesterday night tested again and he quickly found GPS and continue working to implement the Aligntment to the prompt. I got the note in Germany, which you can set up the Integrated Sensor Module on the Polaris using Autostar new. Maybe you can find what it.
Many thanks.
Wolfgang Martin

Clear Skies

Wolfgang

#14 Mark Sibole

Mark Sibole

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2368 posts

Posted 14 February 2015 - 07:47 AM

Yes bill he is set on images.He may not have waited long enough to let the gos get a full reading.Depending on how long it has been in between uses a gps can take up to 15 minutes maybe even longer to get a good reading.You just have to be sure your not by any steel structures and in a decent clearing to get the readings.If all sensors are working fine and the GPS is getting a good read then there should be no issues.

But the main thing is the GPS reading..Like I said its been a long while since ive used my LS im not sure on a lot of things on it.Im so used to the LX200 which i know basically by heart,

Mark Sibole
MTSO Observatory
Fife Lake, Mi.

#15 Mark Sibole

Mark Sibole

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2368 posts

Posted 14 February 2015 - 07:49 AM

Also one other thing i strongly suggest is keep fresh batteries in it or use a power pack.This scope is battery hungery and if it dosnt get the needed power it dosnt like to play nice at all especially during alignment.

Mark Sibole
MTSO Observatory
Fife Lake, Mi.

#16 Wolfgang

Wolfgang

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 14 February 2015 - 11:17 AM

Hi Mark, hi Bill,
I always work with a power supply. GPS does not take more than 5 minutes.
Had at my site no GPS problems. Although I am close to a building, but that has not been an obstacle. I will speak to former Meade-Europe on Monday to see what I can do.
Thank you for your past efforts and I am confident to solve the problem.
Wolfgang Martin

Clear Skies

Wolfgang

#17 Mark Sibole

Mark Sibole

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2368 posts

Posted 15 February 2015 - 05:22 AM

With the magnetic north fature and with tip and tilt functions anything metal in a 15 to 15 foor area can reek havoc on the sensors.If you have problems in one location check near buy for steel that could effect it.Try a different location with no steel around and see if it effects it.I know even over head wires and underground wires can effect it.

Mark Sibole
MTSO Observatory
Fife Lake, Mi.

#18 Wolfgang

Wolfgang

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 03:25 AM

Hi Mark,
the location of my telescope is clean. In Germany there are no power lines in residential areas. All electrical service connections are underground and all high-voltage lines may not pass over residential areas and are far away. Under the location of my telescope are no electrical wires. Also have my wireless lan already turned off. The house is built with bricks.
It has already times works almost two years without a hitch. I have no Explanation  :(.
Best regards from Germany.
Wolfgang Martin

Clear Skies

Wolfgang

#19 Wolfgang

Wolfgang

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 09:27 AM

Hello,
i'm back.
I dont go to my problem.
But I found the following:

http://www.cloudynig...e/26307-lscal4/

There is a series of pictures of a Meade LS. Only on my LS with firmware 1.6a there is no setup point: Factory Calibrate !!!
From this menu you can make various sensor calibrations.
In my setup menu there is not the "Factory Calibrate" !!
How can I get this menu? or is my Autostar not up to date?
Who can give me information?

best regards
Wolfgang

Attached Thumbnails

• gallery1.jpg
  • gallery2.jpg
  • gallery3.jpg
  • gallery4.jpg

Clear Skies

Wolfgang

#20 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2957 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 03:44 PM

Hi Wolfgang!

I do not remember running into "factory calibrate" on my scope either. Your version 1.6a of the software is the newest version.

The factory calibrate settings may be password protected somewhere.

There will normally be a place where you can make the scope dump all the settings you have put in and go back to default factory settings.

My LS 8 is currently in a storage unit or I would go start it up and see what I could find.

Anyone else out there know about this on an LS?

Bill Steen

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ls

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users