#1 gspie

gspie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts
  • LocationScottsdale, Arizona

Posted 09 February 2015 - 12:39 PM

It appears that the 2-star align procedure for the LX850 (and I hear same is true for the LX-600). When the 2-star alignment is selected, it selects a star, in my case Capella. I center the star using the hand controller. When it is centered, I press Enter, then is looks for another star. At this point it says it is 'Out of Stars', and the alignment quits. I heard from another LX-850 user, and he said he heard from others that the 2-star alignment code was skipping to every other star, therefore by the time Capella was found, there were no bright stars bright enough for the code to present a second star. I have had this work earlier in the year, but all of a sudden it stopped working, and now fails solidly.

Has anyone from Meade looked into this issue. The last time I spoke to support, they just told me to RESET the hand controller -- this did nothing other than forget all of my settings. The 2-star alignment issue is still there.

The only way I can get an alignment of my semi-permanently mounted LX-850 is via the 1-star align procedure. Since the telescope has been aligned via the automated drift alignment, it is tracking well, it just needs to be told again where it is pointing -- the 2-star align procedure used to do this for me. Now I do the one-star, ignore the order to move the mount to center Polaris (it is a bit off, but as I said, I did several rounds of drift-alignment, and don't want to fudge with the mount controls). So after I tell it Polaris is centered, it slews to Capella, which I then center via the hand controller, then all is peachy...

Someone at Meade needs to look into this claim about the error in the algorithm, and fix it.

Here is the description of the error I saw (attached)...

Attached Files

• michaelptifid64 likes this
LX850 with 10" ACF OTA and Takahashi FS 60C OTA -- SBIG STT-8300M CCD with FW8G-STT Self Guiding Filter Wheel and SBIG AO-8 Adaptive Optics -- Camera Control and Image Calibration with Maxim DL/CCD Pro, Image processing with PixInsight, and final composition with Photoshop CS5

http://home.comcast....ie/astroweb.htm

#2 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2800 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 09 February 2015 - 06:47 PM

I will contact someone I know. I suspect they know about the issue, but I will make sure.
Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

#3 Mark Sibole

Mark Sibole

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2368 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 03:06 PM

Here is the response i recieved.

The one star alignment is our preferred method for permanent installations, and likely always will be. The mount does not need to triangulate after all, Polaris effectively serves as a second anchor point. We are looking at the two star alignment process but I don't have a time frame on any changes. Until then I always recommend running with the one star.

If you are in a perminant install you actually shouldnt have to do an alignment if you park the scope.

If you dont park the scope and it isnt moved all you should have to do is use the hand control and slew to a known star center on it and sync and you would be good to go.

Mark

Mark Sibole
MTSO Observatory
Fife Lake, Mi.

http://astronomy.qteaser.com

#4 gspie

gspie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts
  • LocationScottsdale, Arizona

Posted 10 February 2015 - 04:11 PM

It hasn't been moved for about 6-months now. I guess I'll do as you suggest. I do park the scope after every use...
LX850 with 10" ACF OTA and Takahashi FS 60C OTA -- SBIG STT-8300M CCD with FW8G-STT Self Guiding Filter Wheel and SBIG AO-8 Adaptive Optics -- Camera Control and Image Calibration with Maxim DL/CCD Pro, Image processing with PixInsight, and final composition with Photoshop CS5

http://home.comcast....ie/astroweb.htm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users