#1 spiral

spiral

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 26 January 2015 - 05:43 PM

I have heard conflicting reports of the LX90's having some plastic gears.. I don't believe they do, but is that true?

#2 Mark Sibole

Mark Sibole

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2368 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 08:30 AM

THey havnt had them in the past and i dont think they do now but with changes its hard to say.Ill see if i can find any info on them and get back with you.

Mark

Mark Sibole
MTSO Observatory
Fife Lake, Mi.

http://astronomy.qteaser.com

#3 spiral

spiral

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 27 January 2015 - 11:27 AM

Great! I'm really considering purchasing an LX90 10"..If they have plastic gears I would have to reconsider

#4 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2846 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 27 January 2015 - 04:05 PM

They do use plastic in some gear in some scopes. My experience is that the plastic gears they use will generally out last the metal ones. In some DS mounts that I have gone through and tried to re-shape plastic gears with find sand paper, I found that the gears in service will probably live longer than I will. The plastic they use is very tough. It can flex a little bit instead of breaking or wearing out.

The plastic in the gears is not being cheap. It is put there, whenever it is, because it will last longer than metal.

Bill Steen
Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

#5 Mark Sibole

Mark Sibole

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2368 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 06:56 PM

I have never heard of any one having any issues with any of the LX90 gears.But im still waiting on a reply.Even if there are and sort of plastic gears they will be minimal and shouldnt hurt a thing.As I said Ive personally never heard of any lx90 issues and i know a lot of folks who use them.

Mark

Mark Sibole
MTSO Observatory
Fife Lake, Mi.

#6 Mark Sibole

Mark Sibole

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2368 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 08:59 AM

From what Ive been told there are a few small minor plasticgears in the LX90 and there has been for a while now but ive never heard of any problems with them in 10 years anyways.I know several who image through the scope long exposure and hav had no issues either.

Regards

Mark

Mark Sibole
MTSO Observatory
Fife Lake, Mi.

#7 spiral

spiral

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 29 January 2015 - 09:06 AM

I have never heard of any one having any issues with any of the LX90 gears.But im still waiting on a reply.Even if there are and sort of plastic gears they will be minimal and shouldnt hurt a thing.As I said Ive personally never heard of any lx90 issues and i know a lot of folks who use them.

Mark

So you know a lot of people who use the LX90. :D . So in your opinion, are they a reliable unit?? Do you know anyone that has 10" model?? How do they like it?? I've been reading the owner manual online for the LX90's..The computer system has a lot of features I really like that the other brands don't have and everyone seems to love the ACF optics..Plus, Blue is my favorite color!!

#8 spiral

spiral

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 29 January 2015 - 09:07 AM

From what Ive been told there are a few small minor plasticgears in the LX90 and there has been for a while now but ive never heard of any problems with them in 10 years anyways.I know several who image through the scope long exposure and hav had no issues either.

Regards

Mark

Well Crap!!

#9 spiral

spiral

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 29 January 2015 - 09:14 AM

I do not plan on using a wedge with it anyway, so the "minor plastic gears" probably wouldn't be an issue..I just hate the thought of that much money for a new unit and it have plastic gears in it.. :-

#10 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2846 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 29 January 2015 - 12:14 PM

From my experience with DS mounts, who had metal gears in the first versions, the metal gears in those mounts wore out rather quickly and people would either buy another set of gears set or chunk the mount and got another one. Other parts may break in the mounts, but the plastic gears just keep working. The closest thing to a gear failure was when I took one drive train apart, which requires the framework to be twisted some, I had a frame break.

Now that mount is now almost like a little army tank with the various generations, even if they call the most modern one generation 2, and it is just a couple hundred dollars and really mass produced. The LX 90 is in a whole different league. There is no doubt in my mind that they are putting the best material for the particular job. What they use will depend on experiences with that part in the past. That mount has truly survived the test of time.

Of all the Meade computerized mounts, that one is what I call the jack-of-all-trades. It is lighter than the LX 200, but much more portable. From what I have heard, a ten inch optical tube is about the biggest you would want to use, where the LX 200 can go on up. But taking an LX 200 away from its normal home would be quite an endeavor.

Hope this settles your doubts a little.

Bill Steen
  • spiral likes this
Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

#11 Mark Sibole

Mark Sibole

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2368 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 12:59 PM

Then I believe you will be more than happy with the LX90.

• spiral likes this
Mark Sibole
MTSO Observatory
Fife Lake, Mi.

#12 RickScofield

RickScofield

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 299 posts
  • LocationBellevue,Nebraska

Posted 01 February 2015 - 06:16 PM

I have owned my LX 90 since last November.I used an ETX 90 prior to that and found that I spend more time using the telescope now than setting it up. The LX 90 is actually easier to set up than my ETX 90. I purchased the 8" version ACF/GPS model. For me the difference between the 10" versus the 8" in weight and optical power was not worth it for my use. I don't plan on taking photographs with it and have too carry my equipment to get where I want to use it. I think if I were wanting to do photography, I probably would have purchase an LX 200. I have logged almost 600 hours with my LX 90 and the only problems I have had are a mirror shift issue and power adapters problems but no show stoppers. I would recommend the LX 90 without any hesitation.

Rick Scofield
  • spiral likes this

#13 spiral

spiral

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 02 February 2015 - 07:52 AM

I have owned my LX 90 since last November.I used an ETX 90 prior to that and found that I spend more time using the telescope now than setting it up. The LX 90 is actually easier to set up than my ETX 90. I purchased the 8" version ACF/GPS model. For me the difference between the 10" versus the 8" in weight and optical power was not worth it for my use. I don't plan on taking photographs with it and have too carry my equipment to get where I want to use it. I think if I were wanting to do photography, I probably would have purchase an LX 200. I have logged almost 600 hours with my LX 90 and the only problems I have had are a mirror shift issue and power adapters problems but no show stoppers. I would recommend the LX 90 without any hesitation.

Rick Scofield

Thanks..Yeah I don't plan on any DSO imaging..Maybe just Orion and stacking..The rest will be video of the planets and moon..I will get an EQ and a faster scope later for DSO imaging..

How are the views in your scope? Some say the images are soft in the Meades , most others say the optics are Awesome..The largest scope I have looked through is an 8"DOB 15 years ago and for some reason, this time around, I just got to go bigger than an 8" .. :D I would consider the 12" but I don't hear good things about the mount with that 12" OTA..

For me, I think the 10" LX90 would be perfect and it fits the budget.. I just hope Meade is turning a corner now with all the changes that have been going on..I don't want to buy an expensive scope and then their not be a company selling parts if I ever need service..Since the 90's I have always wanted a Meade...

Now, if Meade would just run a sale on the LX90's !!!..

#14 RickScofield

RickScofield

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 08:33 AM

I understand your concern about MEADE however they stood behind their guarantee and replaced my ETX 90 with a turnaround of about 10 days. Also as far as the mirror shift issue the MEADE Service Manager posted a response on how to fix that on this site, which took care of most of that for me. I have been to a half dozen star parties since getting my LX90 and to tell you the truth the images produced by LX90 have been just as good if not better than what other folks were getting with mostly Celestron equipment. It’s too bad you were not able to take advantage of the recent holiday sale they had on the LX 90's, was a 3 to 4 hundred dollar savings.  

Good Luck.

Rick Scofield            

#15 RickScofield

RickScofield

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 05:41 PM

Spiral,
I would also make a recommendation regardless of which LX90 you go with. I would also purchase the Meade Series 5000 2" Enhanced Diagonal Mirror #07680. I think that this is one of the best 2" diagonals on the market.

Best Regards
Rick Scofield

#16 spiral

spiral

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 02 February 2015 - 08:51 PM

Spiral,
I would also make a recommendation regardless of which LX90 you go with. I would also purchase the Meade Series 5000 2" Enhanced Diagonal Mirror #07680. I think that this is one of the best 2" diagonals on the market.

Best Regards
Rick Scofield

Funny you mention that..It was one of the first things I wrote down on the list for accessories.. ;D

#17 spiral

spiral

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 03 February 2015 - 08:11 AM

I understand your concern about MEADE however they stood behind their guarantee and replaced my ETX 90 with a turnaround of about 10 days. Also as far as the mirror shift issue the MEADE Service Manager posted a response on how to fix that on this site, which took care of most of that for me. I have been to a half dozen star parties since getting my LX90 and to tell you the truth the images produced by LX90 have been just as good if not better than what other folks were getting with mostly Celestron equipment. It’s too bad you were not able to take advantage of the recent holiday sale they had on the LX 90's, was a 3 to 4 hundred dollar savings.  

Good Luck.

Rick Scofield            

I dont worry about warranty repairs so much..What I mainly worry about is them going out of business and not being around, at all, to do anything for anybody..

#18 RickScofield

RickScofield

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 06:53 PM

I guess that is a risk we all have taken. From what I understand the merger with the company from China has had a positive impact on Meade and its future. I'm no business analyst but I do know it's all about sales and profits and I can't address either regarding Meade so your guess is as good as anyone's about Meads future. The LX90 is a good solid telescope and I believe you would be very pleased with it.

Best of Luck,
Rick Scofield

#19 RickScofield

RickScofield

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 06:18 PM

Spiral,

Just curious have you decided on a telescope yet?

Rick Scofield

#20 spiral

spiral

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 14 February 2015 - 08:47 PM

Spiral,

Just curious have you decided on a telescope yet?

Rick Scofield

As of matter of fact I did...I placed my order at 6:18pm today for.............A Meade LX90 10".. :D :D  :D  ..I can't wait to receive it !!!  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users