#1 RickScofield

RickScofield

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 299 posts
  • LocationBellevue,Nebraska

Posted 20 January 2015 - 01:30 PM

I purchased an LX90 8” ACF last November, 2014 and have been working with it since and I have to say that I am extremely impressed with it. It does everything that is supposed to and was a major step up for me from my ETX90 which I still own and will probably keep. Anyway the reason why I am writing this today is that with all the good things about this telescope that there are, there are a couple of things that are not so good. The issues I have had are with the power adapters, the Meade #607 DC Power Cord and Meade Universal A/C Adapter. The problem with both of them is that both cable adapter ends don’t fit in the power receptacle very tightly at all on the telescope base and from time to time they disengage while slewing and I lose all power. This, to say the least is very frustrating. I have had to JERYY RIG them to keep them working. Has anyone else had this issue with these adapters?

Also the cord the goes from the adapter to the telescope on the Universal adapter is so short that it’s almost worthless.

I guess I don’t understand Meade logic on these as they are not very practical for the intended application.       

#2 Mark Sibole

Mark Sibole

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2368 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 04:16 PM

If memory serves me right the  size is plug with a 2.5mm tip positive plug.

You can purchase a new straight in plug or right angle plus at any radioshack electronics store or even ebay.

Im not sure if you are close to power or not.If you are close to power i recommend a good 4 to 5 amp supply fused of coarse.If out in the field I like to use BPS batteries with a fuse on them.They last a good night of viewing and easy to charge.

• RickScofield likes this
Mark Sibole
MTSO Observatory
Fife Lake, Mi.

http://astronomy.qteaser.com

#3 RickScofield

RickScofield

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 08:56 AM

Mark,

Thank you for your comments, per the specs on the adapter, the DC connector is 5.5 MM. I have a 12 volt external power supply that I use with the Meade #607 DC Adapter cable. I have been unable to find anything from Radio Shack to resolve the issue.

The specs for the Meade Universal AC Adapter, Part Number 07584 indicate that the DC cable from the transformer to the telescope with the 5.5 MM connector is supposed to be 8 foot long when it is only 4 foot 9 inches long and with the poor connection issue this adapter is pretty much worthless because the telescope has got to be able to drag the transformer while slewing and disconnects itself by doing so because of the poor connection. 

This is a photo of my work around, its not pretty but it works..

IMG_0073.JPG

#4 Mark Sibole

Mark Sibole

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2368 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 02:50 PM

OK Rick.I may have gotten it confised with the LX 200 series.Its been a while for me and i do mix things up a bit I apologize.Im not sure if its now a bad plug or socket right now.

If it were me what i would do if it is a bad plug and if you knew a new plug would snug in correctly and work but in return wear out or get sloppy in time what I have done in the past on may things is bite the bullet on a new stand alone cable .Cut the cable and make a dongle .Basically a 1 to 2 foot cable with a male end and a female end on it.Attach the male  part to the scope and secure it good.Basically an extension of the original plug.Then run your cable from the power supply to the female connection on the dongle.If I were close id come over and actually do it for you.If you can explain in deep detail what is happening im sure i can help you eliminate the problem all together.

You can either do it here or drop me an e mail or phone call. Ill PM you my e mail address and phone number for future emergency use also.

Regards

Mark

Mark Sibole
MTSO Observatory
Fife Lake, Mi.

#5 Mark Sibole

Mark Sibole

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2368 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 02:52 PM

PM sent with all contact info Rick

Mark Sibole
MTSO Observatory
Fife Lake, Mi.

#6 AstromanBK

AstromanBK

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 06:29 AM

I think this is a fairly common problem.  I just always place a piece of tape across the cord, right next to the plug, securing it to the control panel.  That way there is no "tugging" on the plug as the mount turns...

#7 RickScofield

RickScofield

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 12:29 PM

IMG_0085.JPG IMG_0089.JPG IMG_0093.JPG I think I have solved my problems, I had 2 issues. 1 the adapter end of my power cord was not big enough around for the receptacle on the telescope base and 2, even with the larger adapter the cord still was coming unplug from the telescope while it was slewing. The pictures below reflect what I did, are far as the adapter end was concerned. I increased its diameter by using a piece of ¼ “ copper tubing, as far as the adapter plug coming out during slewing I created a tether for it using the handle of the telescope. The handle takes the tension away from the cable end and travels with the telescope:

#8 RickScofield

RickScofield

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 08:09 PM

Well this didn't solve my problem, I am back to using the Velcro straps...... Great advertising for MEADE at star parties.

#9 RickScofield

RickScofield

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 04:33 PM

Mark,
I took your advice and found a 6 ft extension cable, 2.5 x 5.5 mm connections and was able to mount it as to isolate it from the movement of the OTA while slewing. I also found a 12 ft extension with same connectors which I use with the AC/DC power adapter and solved the short cable issue.
RickScofield

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users