• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 bfeeny

bfeeny

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 12:20 AM

The eyepiece on my 8x25 finder scope has come detached from the diagnonal.  I can't really tell what was used to originally attach it, there is a lot of grease around there.  I am guessing I can just use epoxy or superglue to fix this?  Any thoughts on how to do this right?  What's interesting is I actually have two 8x25's and both of them are detached, it seems like a common issue.

#2 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2884 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 14 November 2014 - 10:31 AM

Unless the grease keeps the glue from sticking to the parts, I would think a small amount of just about any glue would work.  The grease would need to be for threads or sliding pieces to adjust the focus.  I have one of those finders I bought as a surplus item to play with, but do not have it in front of me now.

Anyone out there with better knowledge than mine?

Bill Steen

Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

#3 bfeeny

bfeeny

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 10:44 AM

I just cleaned the rim with isopropol alchol, hit it with a thin ring of superglue, and it seems to work!  I also unscrewed the diagonal mirror while I was in there and cleaned it very carefully using a ccd cleaning kit I had which is designed for delicate items.  I will see if it holds up.  My guess is that over time, with the decay of the glue and the pressure from focusing (even with grease), these things work there way loose.

Brian

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users