• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Davidchief

Davidchief

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 09:25 PM

Does anyone have any experience / advice about re- centring the reticle in a series 4000 astrometric eyepiece ? Mine must have received a fairly strong knock as it is way out leaving the outer ring obscured on one side.

#2 Mark Sibole

Mark Sibole

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2364 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 05:29 AM

Its been many years since Ive repaired one.I cant remember how I did it but it is a tedious process.For as much as I use it any more if it went out again I wouldnt fix it myself.

It may be easier in the long run just to replace it.If I can remember how it was done ill let you know.You can try googling it.I may have a write up on it someplace that i dont remember or someone else may.What kind of EP is it?

Mark Sibole
MTSO Observatory
Fife Lake, Mi.

http://astronomy.qteaser.com

#3 Meade

Meade

Meade Instruments

• Administrators
  • 178 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 08:03 AM

Hi David, 

Unlike the illuminated reticle eyepieces which have adjustment thumbscrews I don't recall the astrometric eyepiece as being adjustable at all. Sounds like it is damaged unfortunately and that is a discontinued item, the closest match would be one of the illuminated reticles which are not the same obviously.  

If you decide to roll the dice and dismantle the eyepiece do keep close track of how it comes apart, rings, lenses, etc. Those were imported items and Customer Service doesn't have any schematics or anything to assist with the effort so keeping track of how it is all going to go back together will be key. 

I take it the unit is outside warranty and as I say we don't have any stock left here, so might be a case of nothing ventured nothing gained before just shopping for a replacement? 

John Piper

Customer Service Manager

Meade Instruments Corp.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users