7 replies to this topic

#1 akjudge

akjudge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 06:07 PM

I downloaded the LPI manual from the Meade Web site (since I couldn't open the Manual sections on my AutoStar Suite CD).  But my AutoStar Suite (with the new upgrade 4) has a different LPI Imaging Window than the one in the manual.  For example, there is a "Count Down" Box that isn't described on the Meade Website LPI Manual, plus additional boxes whose settings I am not sure of.

Is there a source for an LPI Manual that reflects the changes in Upgrade 4?  Or do I have to guess at what some of the undefined boxes/settings do?

As you can tell, I'm new to the LPI and was hoping the LPI Manual would accurately reflect (and discuss) the screen I see when I open up LPI Imaging in my upgraded AutoStar Suite.

Any help would be appreciated.

Jim

#2 Mark Sibole

Mark Sibole

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2368 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 06:09 AM

Jim
If you could post a screen shot i can clarify things.
Its been a long while since Ive used the original version so I cant really remember the setup.
You can post a screen shot or e mail me a screen shot and ill fill in the blanks for you.

Regards

Mark
Mark Sibole
MTSO Observatory
Fife Lake, Mi.

http://astronomy.qteaser.com

#3 akjudge

akjudge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 11:49 AM

Thanks Mark,

I think I have the newest available version of AutoStar Suite.  The LPI Imaging window that I'm talking about comes up in AutoStar Envisage.  My Envisage is version 5.85 which I think is the most recent upgrade available.  My LPI camera is new.

I will try to include the Screen Shot as an attachment with this posting so others may see what I'm talking about and comment..  The areas of confusion are circled in RED and Lettered (A thru G).

OBVIOUS CAVEAT:  The window I'm talking about only appears if the LPI is connected to the computer and powered up  --  otherwise you only get the files version of the window.

So, if someone can tell me what the areas do and any tips on the settings I would appreciate it.

Why no update to the LPI manual with these changes??

Jim

[attachment deleted by admin]

#4 cannon

cannon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 02 August 2007 - 02:05 PM

The color tab is also different when opened. The color settings are all but unusable. The upgrade so all cameras work with the same software is great, but it would be nice to know how to use it. A manual of the changes and how to use them.
Terry

#5 akjudge

akjudge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 05:25 PM

Glad to see that I'm not alone in my confusion.  Someone obviously put some thought into the changes (and the software revision).  Too bad they didn't put those ideas down on paper so we could be in on the reasons and thus how to use the undefined controls...

Hopefully Mark (or someone else) knows.

Jim

#6 Mark Sibole

Mark Sibole

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2368 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 06:51 AM

OK the reason you dont see a lot of the info when no imager is plugged in is because it needs the camera drivers active to sort out what each imager is capable of.
The DSI and LPI do different things so each selection will vary.
A. is for long exposure mode  for the LPI i believe its 16 seconds max for the DSI its 1 hour
B. is for short exposute mode  for .0001 seconds up to 15 seconds
C. is for preview mode it allows you to shoot a preview at your exposure time without saving the file
D. is the long exposure activation button if checked it puts you in ling exposure mode
E. is the counter timer  it tells you where you are at on the countdown(EX if you shoot 2 minutes exposures it starts at 2.00.00 for 2 minutes and counts down to zero then starts over
F.is your contrast setting it allows some preset adjustments of the contrast
G. it shadow enhance  this allows you to bring out some if the dimmer signals forawrd.

Regards

Mark
Mark Sibole
MTSO Observatory
Fife Lake, Mi.

#7 akjudge

akjudge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 07:13 AM

Thanks Mark,

The explanation helps alot.  But of coarse leads to other questions  ???

I realize you may not be as familiar with the LPI as you obviously are with the DSI Pro II, but can you (or anyone else out there) give me a starting point for exposures of the Moon with the LPI?

For example, assuming I use the LPI without a Barlow on my 8" LX200 R, should I be using long exposures or short exposures?  Can you suggest starting exposure times?

I know alot of this will be trial-and-error, but do you know of any source for basic tips regarding using the LPI on the moon and planets?

Thanks again for your help Mark,

Jim

#8 Mark Sibole

Mark Sibole

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2368 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 10:05 AM

For lunar and planetary imaging  it is usually done with 1 second exposures or less.
Eack focal length will vary the exposure time.
A short focal length will be a sharter exposure as it lets more light in.
A high focal length cuts off light so a bit longer exposure wiol be needed.
For lunar images I generally run about .250 seconds or less
The same for planets.
You will been to do some trial and error tests on your setup.
But the exposures will be less than a half a second.

Regards

Mark
Mark Sibole
MTSO Observatory
Fife Lake, Mi.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users