#1 BABFB

BABFB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 06:17 PM

Dadgummit folks, Need some help.

Last time I used my LXD55 all was working well. Tonight I go to do Easy Align and the R.A. Axis has no effect. The motor is running but nothing. I attempted to

remove the black plastic housing with no luck yet. However I can clearly see that there are two gears behind the little pop out access cover that are not aligned or

meshed together. The Upper gear is behind the Lower gear. Not sure what happened there. I do believe that is my problem. The other problem is I do not know how to realign the gears if that is indeed the problem.

Does anyone have any ideas, or knowledge on getting the gears back to where they belong? I could really use a Mechanical Drawing of the R.A. Gear and Motor

assembly. Anyone have access to those probably impossible to get drawings? Gonna try and remove that housing and see if I can figure anything out. Looking forward to some advice and help.

Thanks,

babfb 

#2 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2809 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 22 September 2014 - 07:09 PM

Hi Burt!

I have never been into one of those.  In fact, I don't think I have actually seen one, up close and personal.

My best guess is that a set screw slipped somewhere along the line, but that is just exactly what it is, a guess.

Does anyone out there know about these?  If so, please speak up! :)

Thanks,

Bill Steen

Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

#3 Mark Sibole

Mark Sibole

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2368 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 06:29 AM

Best thing is to join one of the LXD 75 or 55  groups on yahoo.

They know pretty much anything and everything there is to know on the mount.

Rewgards

Mark

https://groups.yahoo...ations/messages

Mark Sibole
MTSO Observatory
Fife Lake, Mi.

http://astronomy.qteaser.com

#4 BABFB

BABFB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 05:53 PM

I got it going guys. But I do not know for how long. There is no set screw that I have found. One gear just slips on the shaft. But I see how it works now. And I think I know what happened. While tracking a target I fell asleep for a bit in the house and the Dec. box rotated around and jammed against the R.A. box. I think that contact forced into the R.A. box some pressure and moved the gear over on the shaft behind the lower gear. It now can move on the shaft easily. We will find out if that will be an issue in the future. But it works for now, and I learned something. Ready to try it out.

• Mark Sibole likes this

#5 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2809 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 06:48 PM

Thanks for the update, Burt!

Bill Steen

#6 BABFB

BABFB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 06:33 PM

Well guys, looks like my worst fear has come to be. Since it would appear that one cannot take the R.A. motor apart to see if there is a worn out spot in what would seem to be a worm gear in my LXD55 is there any way I can order a replacement motor? Something is BAD wrong in the motor gears. Motor turns fine but apparently something has broken in the drive train aspect of the R.A. function. Can I simply order a replacement motor? I sure have learned a valuable lesson. Never leave your scope running when you intend to go in the house for a few minutes and wind up falling asleep for a couple of hours. Think I ruined my LXD55 R.A. motor when it bound up against the mount. Bummer. HELP Please anyone. And finally got a crystal clear night after a couple of months of scuttle in the sky. Bummer. Patiently, yet anxiously awaiting advice. Thanks.

#7 SmokeyJoe

SmokeyJoe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationGreat Lakes Region, N.A.

Posted 23 October 2016 - 04:52 PM

I realize that this is a two year old thread, but just in case anyone else is looking for a solution to the same problem...

There are many cases online wherein just what you've describe has happened to other LXD55/75 owners - the R.A. motor can be heard running, but there's no motion. And as far as I've seen, it has always been a loose set screw on one of the drive-train spur gears (two of mine were loose last time I checked). You can quickly check this by popping-off the little black plastic inspection covers from either the R.A or the Dec. units, without needing to remove anything more from the mount. After the cover is taken off, you'll see the two spur gears that are the likely culprits. There is most definitely a set screw that's supposed to bear down on the flat of the shaft, holding these gears in place. It's teeny, and it's even possible that it has fallen out completely - can't tell w/o looking. But you can't tighten a loose set screw without removal of the black plastic drive modules. No worries - separation of either of these units from the mount requires the removal of just one screw. You can do it.

This is for my LXD75, but I don't think there's any difference in this particular aspect.

To remove the RA motor & worm assembly, you need to remove just one screw. For this you'll need a 3/16"*** hex key/allen wrench.

[ *** CORRECTION: 3/16" will work, but you should really use a 4mm hex key. I just bought a set of 10 metric hex keys at Home Depot for $5 usd, w/ a lifetime gaurantee!  ]

But before you do anything: REMOVE OTA AND COUNTERWEIGHTS FROM MOUNT! We don't want no stinkin' surprises.

O.K. Now we can begin.

Now, fInd the little hole that runs parallel-to and just below the polar-alignment scope. In other words, if you're looking through the polar alignment scope, keep you head and eyeball in the same postion and lower your head approximately 1 1/2". Now you're looking into the little hole we seek.

Insert your allen wrench into this little hole and seat into the screw head. Turn it counter clockwise, while holding the black plastic motor unit with your other hand to prevent it falling onto the floor and making you say a bad, bad word. Because this one screw is the only thing holding it to the mount head. Once it's off you can easily access the two spur gears - they'll be either, aluminum, brass, or one of each (like mine). Meade used different combos during different runs of '55's and '75's over the years. Tighten any loose set screws you find. That's it. Put it back together.

I hope I've gotten this right and also made it clear. If not, somebody please chime-in.

Good luck. 

• MistrBadgr likes this

#8 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2809 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 04:21 PM

Thanks, Smokey Joe!  That is good stuff!

Bill Steen

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users