• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 CraigNZ

CraigNZ

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 03:15 PM

Is there a method for autostar alignment using a PC?

On my scope I have a camera on the main scope and a guide camera on the guide scope .. so there are no eyepieces.  I use SkyX professional and ImageLink to know precisely where the scope is pointed at.  But what I find is if I do a 'sync' after an imagelink then park the scope, the next time I use autostar the error in RA has doubled.  Which means after a few sessions like this the startup RA is several hours off.

From what I understand, autostar requires an alignment at the start of each observing session.  So it does not retain the alignment when parking.

Without any eyepiece I don't see how an alignment can be done.  What would be ideal is if I could use AutoStar to do a two or three star alignment, then when AutoStar asks for the star, I instead enter a set of coordinates.  So the process would be something like:

1. Power on AutoStar handset, enter date/time.

2. From AutoStar on PC then select 2 star alignment.

3. Manually slew the telescope to some point in the sky, do an ImageLink to get the precise location.

4. Enter those coordinates into AutoStar.

5. Repeat steps 3 and 4 for second star.

AutoStar is now aligned.

Then use sync as needed.

Is this possible, or something close to it?

#2 Mark Sibole

Mark Sibole

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2364 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 06:32 AM

as it dost hold its position when going to park the position is off.

If you dont move the scope and just park it you can turn it back on then manually go to a star of known location and sync on it.This should get you where you need to be.

I used to do that all of the time with the LX200.

If you move the scope you will have to do a 1 or 2 star alignment.

Mark Sibole
MTSO Observatory
Fife Lake, Mi.

http://astronomy.qteaser.com

#3 CraigNZ

CraigNZ

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 12:28 PM

Hi Mark,

Thank you for the reply.  I will give this a try.  Last night I did a two star align and by adding a couple of sync's I found the go to performance to be excellent.  I then parked the scope and power it off.  The next clear night I will power it on, slew to a known position and sync and then see if all works well.  What I had noticed in the past was if you parked, then powered on and entered coordinates for an object it would be say 1 min error in RA.  But on the second night it would be 2 min, then 4 min etc.  For some reason it was doubling the error in RA each night.  I'll check this again and report back.  I am using the AudioStar controller.

#4 Mark Sibole

Mark Sibole

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2364 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 07:07 PM

remember to slew using the hand paddle and not unlock motors. EX slew to vega center it the select vega on paddle then hit sync.Should tell the scope where everything is from there.If you find it has still lost its way you may need to replace the lith ion battery in the scope.

Mark Sibole
MTSO Observatory
Fife Lake, Mi.

http://astronomy.qteaser.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users