• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 rob28

rob28

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 01:04 PM

My 2130 has sat dormant for several years and I've tried to bring it out of retirement but have now run into an issue.

Due to the length of time if had sat, I changed all batteries (including the one in the LNT). It now comes up with a motor fault when trying to do the initial level.

The motors seems to run OK when run manually with no unusual noises or jerkyness. One thing I have noticed though is that changing the speed has no effect on vertical (Altitude) but does on the sideways movement (Azimuth). This makes me think it's more of an electrical issue. The controller is a 494 type and all cable connections are OK in there.

So I've had the unit stripped apart this afternoon to check for loose connections but all looks good. I've tried training the sensors but I just get the motor fault all the time.

Any ideas? Thanks Rob.

#2 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2749 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 05 September 2014 - 06:52 PM

There is something in the system that checks for amps on the motor.  There is a function that has the the system check the amperage on the motors and reset the fault point.  I ran into this when switching scopes on a mount.  If you have a manual handy (it can be downloaded from Meade.com) there should be reference to the function in the menu tree.

Holler back if this does not help or if you have trouble finding the function and I will scratch my head and do some better research.

Bill Steen

Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

#3 rob28

rob28

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 04:33 AM

Thanks MistrBadgr,

After looking in the manual at the menu structure I've noticed Calibrate Motor in the Setup/Telescope menu. I'd already tried calibrate sensors with no joy so will give it a go and report back.

#4 JohnGraham

JohnGraham

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • LocationKettering, Ohio

Posted 06 September 2014 - 05:29 PM

Are you using alkaline batteries or rechargeable NiMH batteries? A motor fault can occur if the motors are trying to draw more current than the batteries can provide. New alkalines are about 1.6V and work okay down to about 1.2V. New NiMH batteries start out at 1.2V and stay there unil they die. I switched to using a small jumpstart battery with mine. The Autostar loves a good beefy power supply.

-John

#5 rob28

rob28

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 07:41 PM

No joy so far. I tried calibrating the motors but as soon as they moved a bit the motor fault came back.

It may be crappy betteries - new Energizer Ultra's - or it may be fried electronics due to a few winters in the garage at down to -40 degC. I keep coming back to the single speed on the Az drive motor whatever it tries to do.....

#6 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2749 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 08:49 PM

Hi Rob,

If you have a volt meter, or know someone who does, you can check the voltage on the batteries.  Plus, you can unclip the battery holder and check the voltage for the whole package of them together.  Look for any signs of corrosion in the setup and scrape it clean.

If you know anybody around with a Meade handset, 494, 495, 497, or AudioStar, you might try a different handset and see if that works.

Bill Steen

#7 rob28

rob28

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 04:53 AM

I'm an electrician..... No corrosion to be seen and I haven't tested the batteries as they're brand new - but I'll probably do that to rule bad batteries.

I live in the middle of NW Ontario where population is minimal, so the chances of someone else having a Meade scope in the area is pretty small. 

#8 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2749 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 09:28 AM

Rob,

Let me make an inquiry.  I do not know of any particular results or when, but it is worth a shot for trouble-shooting purposes.

Bill Steen

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users