7 replies to this topic

#1 sansouci01

sansouci01

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationOrlando,Fl.

Posted 31 August 2014 - 04:50 AM

I having a problem with the altitude adjustment on my go to 2130. Everything seems to be tight but after 30 minutes of using the scope, I lose the altitude movement. I try with the hand box and hear the motor turning but nothing is moving. It's like something has losen up inside. I have taken  it apart several times. Even made sure that the little 3 sided foot that tightens up the clutch ( I think ) is not binding but everything looks fine. I put it back together and test it. It works fine. Could it be that things inside are just getting worn out..

#2 sansouci01

sansouci01

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationOrlando,Fl.

Posted 31 August 2014 - 08:20 AM

Well. I might have solved the problem. I took it apart this morning and noticed that there is sort of a snap ring that holds the white main gear down in the back of the assembly. Looks like over the years the snap ring has lost its tightness and is letting the gear move in and out instead of being tight against the plate. I went and purchased a new snap ring and it seems to fit better. Will try it out tonight and report back on the results. In the meantime, if anyone else has had this problem and found any other things that it could be, please let me know but hopefully this will do the trick...

#3 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2800 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 31 August 2014 - 11:12 AM

That could certainly be an issue.  Have not heard of anyone having a problem with that, but there is always a first time.  I will be interested in hearing what you find out.  As mounts wear in, if that can be an issue it will certainly show up.

Thanks for the report!

Bill Steen

Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

#4 sansouci01

sansouci01

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationOrlando,Fl.

Posted 03 September 2014 - 04:34 PM

Hello Bill.

Well, the new snap ring seems to have solved the problem. As you can see by the picture, the original ring on the left didn't keep the white gear flush on the shaft. It didn't lock in the groove all the way around causing the gear to kind of wobble in and out. The night I went outside to try it out was the best star gazing ever. Every star cluster and nebula I put into the handset tracked perfectly and was right in the center of the eyepiece. I did encounter a small problem though that I didn't have before. If I manually slew the telescope in a slow speed it seems to hasitate a bit and then kind of jump into position if that makes any sense. Any ideas?

Attached Thumbnails

• Clips.jpg

#5 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2800 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 03 September 2014 - 07:12 PM

I believe you need to train your drives.  When the scope hesitates like that or if it starts arguing with you about where you should position an object in the field, the scope does not have an accurated idea of what the backlash is in one or both gear trains.  Normally, I use a fairly high power eyepiece when training the drives and then do it for each drive about three times.  I don't know if it really helps to train it that many times, but I think it gets me tuned into the process really well and makes me feel better about it.  I think the drive training functions are located in the setup section of the handset menu.

Glad to hear you got the snap ring problem solved.  That could be very frustrating.

Bill Steen

Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

#6 sansouci01

sansouci01

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationOrlando,Fl.

Posted 04 September 2014 - 04:24 PM

Thanks Bill.

I have trained the drives in the past but maybe its time to do it again but, for now I think I will leave it be seeing as the go to function works better than it ever has before and I don't want to mess that up...lol

#7 Mark Sibole

Mark Sibole

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2368 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 06:35 PM

any changes to the gear drive system being adding the clip greasing or and adjustments means you MUST retrain drives period.

Mark Sibole
MTSO Observatory
Fife Lake, Mi.

http://astronomy.qteaser.com

#8 JohnGraham

JohnGraham

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • LocationKettering, Ohio

Posted 06 September 2014 - 05:23 PM

You might also recalibrate the motors. Do this before retraining the drives. The cure-all for the DS-2000 and ETX scopes is to reset the controller, calibrate the motors, and then train the drives. Another thing to look for is grease working its way into the clutches. This tends to be more of an issue with the azimuth clutch.

-John

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users