#1 RickScofield

RickScofield

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 309 posts
  • LocationBellevue,Nebraska

Posted 29 August 2014 - 06:01 PM

I have been trying to find out how long the new verion of the ETX 90 has been out and have had no luck in finding an answer. The new versions have the ETX logo in big letters on both sides of the mountings and its configuration was changed enough that it will not accept the focuser offered by MEADE for the ETX90.
Meade support was calling it the ETX 90 MAK, I have no idea what the MAK stands for. They have also changed the power supply connection to that of the ETX 80 using a 9 volt battery type connection.Anyway there is a ton of published advise for working and adjusting drives and gears etc, however I think that some of this no longer applies. I don't want to consider advice that no longer applies to the newer version and really have no way of knowing what does and does not. It would be good to have an understanding of the changes made between the old and the new.

#2 Mark Sibole

Mark Sibole

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2368 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 10:01 AM

MAK stands for

Maksutov-Cassegrain

as for electronic focusers i had one for my etx 125 and did nopt cae for it.

I found focusing my hnd was so much easier and more precise.

you can google search for home made focusers for the etx 90 to get some ideas.Some made a bigger knob plate they slipped over the original focuser.Some have made extension upbes out of rubber tubing to make it more accessable.

• RickScofield likes this
Mark Sibole
MTSO Observatory
Fife Lake, Mi.

http://astronomy.qteaser.com

#3 RickScofield

RickScofield

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 01:52 PM

Thanks Mark,

but I’m not looking for a focuser, I was merely pointing out that MEADE has changed the ETX90 from what it used to be. I am trying to find out when this current version came out and how much different it is in the ETX90 version before it. .  

#4 Atjous

Atjous

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationThe Hague, THE NETHERLANDS

Posted 21 September 2014 - 10:10 AM

Hi Rick,

I did a little research on your question. I believe the new ETX90 was introduced around the last quarter of 2011 / first quarter of 2012.
I found a thread at http://www.weasner.c...44_focuser.html, dated around May 2012. That thread displays the new ETX90 you're question is about. The Meade Product Catologue of 2011 however doesn't display the new design.

About differences: I cannot confirm this for myself, but I understand that the fork arms of the new ETX90 are more plastic, less metal. Also, there is just one lever to control the diagonal. The hard stop is gone, of course.

And as a last remark, I would like to kindly ask the good people at Meade to jump in on this discussion and clear up the issue ;-)

Meade LX90 8" GPS | Meade ETX90 | Coronado PST | Celestron C70

#5 Atjous

Atjous

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationThe Hague, THE NETHERLANDS

Posted 21 September 2014 - 09:30 PM

Adding even more precision: it's around November 2011, that the new ETX90 surfaced. My own manual gave that clue. It has this date on it: 11/06/11.

Meade LX90 8" GPS | Meade ETX90 | Coronado PST | Celestron C70

#6 RickScofield

RickScofield

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 06:16 PM

Atjous,
Thank you for your research. I will probably never find out what all the differences are between the previous and current versions of the ETX 90's are. All the advice from other users may or my not be applicable to the newer version however without knowing what was changed it's all worthless. Thank you again!
RickScofield

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users