• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 handymanCT

handymanCT

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 07:50 AM

So I was out late last night observing in my yard with a buddy.  I have my LX850 setup and polar aligned, which I know is off a tad, but I have it close enough that most objects are in the field of view of a 25mm eyepiece when i goto.  Here is the interesting thing, when I power the scope up I slew to a bright star like Altair and center it then hit sync in my hand controller.  From then on any object that I slew to in the eastern sky is pretty much dead center of the FOV.  So hunting east objects means the OTA is on the west side of the pier and all goto's are pretty much dead center.
Now I slew to an object on the western side, its no where near the FOV of the 25mm eyepiece, I have to hunt for it and sometimes its not easy to locate even in the finder.  SO in this case the OTA is now on the East side of the pier.  Anything I look for in the west is out of the field for any goto.
SO lets go to an object in the east again, ohh surprise not in the FOV anymore either.
This is perplexing to me, and I can't wrap my head around exactly what is doing this.  I re-leveled the mount, and realigned with the pole star, but I'm indeed positive I'm off a hair.  But I don't expect this from being mis-aligned.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Rich

#2 Mark Sibole

Mark Sibole

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2364 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 12:17 PM

Is the scope permanantly mounted?Did you train and or calibrate drives?do you do a 2 star alignment?

Sync generally only works after all of the above is done and nothing is moved(as mounted permanant in an OBS.If it a portable setup you must do a 2 star alignment everytime you set up.

Mark Sibole
MTSO Observatory
Fife Lake, Mi.

http://astronomy.qteaser.com

#3 handymanCT

handymanCT

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 10:15 AM

Thanks for the reply, It is not permanently mounted but the tripod and the mount are stationary and I only remove the OTA and slide it back into place again when I want to observe.  I have run 2 iterations of PEC training thus far.  I will try the 2 star alignment next time too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users