#1 Riccardo Papini

Riccardo Papini

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationFlorence, Italy

Posted 28 August 2014 - 12:32 PM

Hi all,

I have owned an LX200GPS 10" f/10 since 2002 and spent a lot of happy nights with it. My main fields of interest are time series of variable stars which means imaging the same target from the evening dusk to the morning dawn. Now I am seriously thinking to upgrade my old glorious scope with an LX600 12" f/8 of which I have read good reviews both optically and mechanically. Metal gears, precise focus even without mirror lock, superior optics complete the view.

Reading the Meade specs about high precision tracking, Meade says: "Down to 1 arcsecond - depending on sky conditions". I suppose Starlock is the key feature which assures this astounding precision. Considering my SBIG ST9 with its 1.6 arcsec per pixel, it means I could easily take round stars even if sky conditions weren't at the best. What is the opinion of experienced users in this forum about tracking precision considering I seldom expose each image longer than 5 minutes?

Furthermore, where I can find drawings with the main dimensions of the scope on the X-wedge. I have to upgrade the scope shed too and I need to know the distance between the base of wedge and the highest point of the Starlock in its default park position considering my latitude of about 44°.

Sincerely

Riccardo

#2 Mark Sibole

Mark Sibole

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2368 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 06:42 PM

Riccardo,

Im not trying to drive you away from a purchase but am just curious as to why you are upgrading.

Isnt the lx200 tracking well?

I have the LX200 10 inch and have no issues with tracking and guiding.

Im just curious if you have issues with it.

Regards

Mark

Mark Sibole
MTSO Observatory
Fife Lake, Mi.

http://astronomy.qteaser.com

#3 Riccardo Papini

Riccardo Papini

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationFlorence, Italy

Posted 28 August 2014 - 09:37 PM

Mark,

LX200 tracking is quite good and the ST9 guiding sensor achieves in keeping guide stars within +/- 3 pixels that is +/-5 arcsec. Stars are not perfectly round but photometry "forgives" them. Periodic error may reach 40 arsec from peak to peak and it is not actually "periodic" over a period as long as the whole night so that PEC doesn't help very much. In addition, sometime not very often, eventually during the night, stars get streaked and may jump out of the frame. Of course cyrrus may be responsible for this as well as the scope. I realize they are minor issues if you are in the field or control room but I am aging and would like a telescope with a more "stable" tracking  which performs well if unattended when I am sleeping in the bed. :-[ . LX200 was a giant leap forward respect my very very old LX80 purchased ten years before and I expect the same leap forward with LX600. By the way, I have read that gears now are metal and no longer plastic as in mine scope, and this feature alone sounds good.

Sincerely,

Riccardo

#4 Mark Sibole

Mark Sibole

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2368 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 12:13 PM

Ah ok i was just curious.Like I stated i have the same scope .

I know you have to do a few things to make it work well.

Train and calibrate drives.Do a pec run . and find the sweet sopt on the gears.

I also bought pem pro and did a pec run and update using that and with guiding i can go 30 minute sub frames with no issues.

I am not familiar with the LX 600 so I cant comment on that.

My setup is in an obs so things rarely change.

Mark Sibole
MTSO Observatory
Fife Lake, Mi.

http://astronomy.qteaser.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users