#1 RickScofield

RickScofield

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts
  • LocationBellevue,Nebraska

Posted 08 August 2014 - 12:41 PM

Does it make any difference the order: TRAINS the drives and Calibrates Motors? Should I be doing one before the other??

#2 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2955 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 08 August 2014 - 02:15 PM

Hi Rick,

I think they are completely different functions.  Calibrating motors has to do with setting up the amps on the motors somehow.  I know I ran into an issue when I switched out my 2090 optical tube and put on my 2114 tube (and mount rings) on a DS 2000 mount.  The handset got an error message and the mount stopped moving completely when I started up the mount and it either told me to calibrate the motors or did it on its own.

I think if I were to do both functions, I would calibrate the motors first.  It seems to be a more basic thing, though it might not be as important.

Bill Steen

• RickScofield likes this
Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

#3 RickScofield

RickScofield

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 06:28 PM

BILL,
Thank you for the guidance. I have not been able to find much info on Calibration. I have to admit things were allot easier when I used my binoculars. Seems these days I spend more time trying to get things to work right rather than gazing.
Thank you Again,
Rick

#4 Mark Sibole

Mark Sibole

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2368 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 07:06 PM

They are independent from one another so it doesnt matter what order they are in.

Training the drives just teaches the drives how much backlash to take up after a slew in order to center the star..Calibrate drives is more commonly confused with calibrate sensors.So when some one asks if you trained and calibrated drives they really mean train drives and calibrate sensors.Yes by doing this the scope preforms 1000 percent better .If you take the small amount of time to do the pec train and aHigh precision pointing train im lost fotr the correct term at the moment  your slews will 99Percent be in the FOV of a 26 mm EP.

You should have

calibrate home

train drive

Train sensors

and smart mount all in the align menu.

Cal Home is telling the scope what the home position you choose to use.

Train drives reduceses or eliminages back lash in the grars.

Train sensors is self explanatory

Smart mount function runs through about 40 to 60 stars thet you center in the EP then hit enter to move to the next star.It improves pointing dramitacclly

Mark Sibole
MTSO Observatory
Fife Lake, Mi.

http://astronomy.qteaser.com

#5 Mark Sibole

Mark Sibole

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2368 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 07:08 PM

Rick

Once you do this it wont have to be done for several months depending how much you use the scope.First time is critical but as time goes on and gears wear its updatable so you know your always in fine shape.If you image then you do a pec train then update that to really refine tracking to keep them stars nice and round during astrophotography

Mark Sibole
MTSO Observatory
Fife Lake, Mi.

http://astronomy.qteaser.com

#6 RickScofield

RickScofield

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 11:03 AM

Mark,

Thank you for sharing all that with this rookie. I am only aware of Training the Drives and Calibrate. I have noticed under Telescope on the HANDBOX there is a SMART option OFF/ON PEC. The manual says nothing about that.         

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users