7 replies to this topic

#1 Bob Hess

Bob Hess

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationPanama City Beach, Fl

Posted 01 August 2014 - 08:44 AM

Is there any information around about how to work on the battery powered illuminator on a Meade 9mm eyepiece? I bought it used and it's never worked right since I've had it. The dimmer doesn't really work right, it will just all of a sudden come on bright. Now it does not come on at all and the switch seems to now go past the original "off" position. I'm wondering how to open it up and what I will find inside. I can't imagine it's too sophisticated. Nothing comes up on any searches I've tried, the only replacement I can seem to find from Agena is out of stock. Anyone have any "bright" ideas? 

Thanks,

Bob

Bob Hess

Project Manager

Remember: Wherever you go, there you are!

#2 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2809 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 01 August 2014 - 01:43 PM

Hi Bob,

I am sure it has some kind of "hearing aid" type battery, but I am not sure how to get into one.  I had an eyepiece similar to the one you have, but the little light did not work very well on that one either.  I set it aside due to other more pressing things and ended up misplacing it.  I cannot really help you, but you at least have my sympathies.  Hopefully, someone else has some knowledge on those.

Best Regards,

Bill Steen

Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

#3 deepwaterescue4u

deepwaterescue4u

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 04:40 PM

I have both of the wireless EP and mine have always worked great dimming and on and off, shoot return it or exchange it if possible...

Terry

Meade LX200 14" ACF GPS
Meade 4 speed micro focuser
Milburn Wedge
Panama City Florida

Live long and prosper

#4 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2809 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 04:46 PM

What about emailing Agena and asking them how to get one open to change the battery?  That might at least give you a way in.

You might also call Meade Customer Support and ask them about it.  They might have a new light source, but it would be a long shot.

The number is:  800-626-3233.

Bill Steen

#5 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2809 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 05:38 PM

I did a search for "illuminator" at High Point Scientific and found one.  Not sure if it will fit your eyepiece, but you might ask them.  The price was $19.

Bill Steen

#6 gspie

gspie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts
  • LocationScottsdale, Arizona

Posted 03 August 2014 - 09:18 AM

I have the battery powered reticle -- it uses LR44 batteries (Button style)

LX850 with 10" ACF OTA and Takahashi FS 60C OTA -- SBIG STT-8300M CCD with FW8G-STT Self Guiding Filter Wheel and SBIG AO-8 Adaptive Optics -- Camera Control and Image Calibration with Maxim DL/CCD Pro, Image processing with PixInsight, and final composition with Photoshop CS5

http://home.comcast....ie/astroweb.htm

#7 Mark Sibole

Mark Sibole

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2368 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 11:01 AM

Which one do you hve the wireless one or the corded one???

Mark Sibole
MTSO Observatory
Fife Lake, Mi.

http://astronomy.qteaser.com

#8 Bob Hess

Bob Hess

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationPanama City Beach, Fl

Posted 04 August 2014 - 11:58 AM

Thanks for the responses. Note that I can open it up as far as getting to the batteries (Mark, yes, it's the battery powered - wireless - one) and checked the batteries which check good, but replaced them anyway but no joy. I purchased it from a user on Cloudy Nights and cannot return it.

Bill, thanks for the High Point info. Their's looks amazingly like the one from Agena, but will need to confirm the threads are the same. Sounds like 20 bucks is better than trying to mess about with this one that is not working, although once I know a new one is headed my way I may take the channel locks to it to see if I can get at the innards!

Thanks a bunch,

Bob

Bob Hess

Project Manager

Remember: Wherever you go, there you are!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users