9 replies to this topic

#1 Thephile

Thephile

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 24 July 2014 - 11:06 AM

I purchased this scope back in 2008, I used it about 20 hours in two months then moved. The scope has been in storage ever since. Just bought a new house and was able to set it up again, I was downloading the update for the Autostar II and it locked up, after about an hour I shut it off and called Meade, after explaining what happened I was told the Autostar II shorted when I turned off the scope and I need a new one. I ordered a new Autostar II only to find the technician I spoke with was wrong. I will say one thing about the service department at Meade Tech support, from the day I bought the LX200 GPS and the DSI PRO all I got was bad information.

So now to my problem, I now have two Autostar II controllers that do the same thing. When I turn the telescope on I get the Welcome sign for a few seconds then it gives the Autostar version and thats it, just stays on the version. I tried to find another main board on Meade’s web site with no luck and found it might no longer be available, haven’t called them yet, actually I am not in the mood to. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thephile

#2 Mark Sibole

Mark Sibole

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2360 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 06:35 PM

power off the telescope.wait 10 seconds then turn scope on and imediatly press 999 to reset scope.It should take you back to original factory settings.You will have to re enter all info.

Mark Sibole
MTSO Observatory
Fife Lake, Mi.

http://astronomy.qteaser.com

#3 Thephile

Thephile

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 24 July 2014 - 09:53 PM

Thank you for the response, I have already tried that with no luck. I am going to oeder a new computer control panel and hope that works.

power off the telescope.wait 10 seconds then turn scope on and imediatly press 999 to reset scope.It should take you back to original factory settings.You will have to re enter all info.

Thephile

#4 Mark Sibole

Mark Sibole

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2360 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 05:59 AM

OK it may be a bad board then.Meade usually wont sell just boards but there are a few who do repair them.I cant remember off hand at the moment but you can google LX200 repairs.You wont have to send the scope to them just follow instructions on board removal and send them the board to repair.1 is in the US and the other is i believe in the UK.

Hope you get it fixed.

Regards

Mark

follow up here is one who repairs them in the US

http://astronomy-sho...com/?page_id=35

Mark Sibole
MTSO Observatory
Fife Lake, Mi.

#5 Thephile

Thephile

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 25 July 2014 - 09:06 AM

Thanks again Mark,

I tried Google and did come across some repair shops and checked the web site you showed. I ended up calling Meade and got a price for the complete assembly (You were right they sell only the complete package) Got a price from Lee for $124.38 before tax and shipping, that is if he did not make a mistake. I figure by the time I pay round trip shipping plus the repair I am better off with a new one, the only thing, they are out of stock and it will be two weeks before they get one in, so I went ahead and put in my order. The telascope has been in storage for 7 years, a few more weeks will not hurt. This is a shame I only used it for about 2 monthe before I moved, a guess would be it has about 20 hours of on time, even then I could never get the DSI to work. If this does not work, I quite.

With nothing else to do I turned on the telescope and watched the autostar II and noticed the bottom runs warm to touch, it never did that so I decided not to return the other autostar II I bought just in case, thinking with both pieces new I would have a better chance of getting it to work.

If I ever buy another telescope it will be an ORION!

OK it may be a bad board then.Meade usually wont sell just boards but there are a few who do repair them.I cant remember off hand at the moment but you can google LX200 repairs.You wont have to send the scope to them just follow instructions on board removal and send them the board to repair.1 is in the US and the other is i believe in the UK.

Hope you get it fixed.

Regards

Mark

follow up here is one who repairs them in the US

http://astronomy-sho...com/?page_id=35

Thephile

#6 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2709 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 25 July 2014 - 03:12 PM

If what you have going does not work out for you, try Ron Sampson at rsampsonus@yahoo.com.  I am not sure if he has boards for the newer LX 200 scopes, but I know he has them for the classics.

He gets in shipments of old classic LX 200s, maybe as trade-ins from dealers, and fixes them in different ways or parts them out.  I know he does repair work on the boards and fixes up the optical tubes.

Bill Steen

Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

#7 Mark Sibole

Mark Sibole

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2360 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 06:41 AM

All telescope manufactureres are about the same so dont think its just Meade.Many people have broken things and then blamed meade for faulty parts in the past.That is why they have you ship it all to them so they are fure everything is finctional.Now on the reason it went out could be many things.Electronice just sitting around isnt really a good thing.Thinngs dry rot from age,Caps dry out and a lot of parts will go fron sitting around then seeing the sudden surge of electric.Ive also seen things so bad from a static discharge as in close lightening strike or genel static discharge from just touching it.The reasons are many.If people would have been honest in the past Meade and other companys wouldnt have to put this policy in place.I remember bach when i got my first LX200 back in 1996 I lost the main board but it was under warenty.They shipped me all the electronics and I replaced them myself then returned the faulty ones.A board set back then was 500 which included a new hand paddle  dec drive and morot and ra board and motor.To many people not willing to admit their mistake and expected them to replace parts at the customers fault.So you can see why things have changed.

Mark Sibole
MTSO Observatory
Fife Lake, Mi.

#8 Thephile

Thephile

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 28 July 2014 - 09:15 AM

I know exactly what you are saying, First l believe you misunderstand what I am saying, I have nothing agents Meade for the problems, I know and always say if it is mechanical it will break down, I know that. I have been working with electronics since the military which was back in 1963. I use a large rheostat to ramp up my audio equipment just for the reason you mentioned. You know a lot more about these company’s and the scopes then I. I never had the opportunity to talk to any of the others but it seems hard to get answers from the guys at Meade other then yes or no. Maybe it is me but dealing with audio manufactures for many years and talking with the technicians, most are always willing to help trouble shoot. I just think it would be nice if the guys at Meade showed a little enthusiasm when talking to us folk that spent thousands of dollars on their equipment. I will say of all the Telescopes I looked into when I bought this, and I did a lot of research, Meade seemed to be the best.  I contacted Ron Sampson, He is very helpful and seems to know what he is doing, if he wants I will send him whatever he wants to repair the scope.

Thephile

#9 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2709 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 28 July 2014 - 02:43 PM

Ron Sampson was recommended to me when I was working on an LX 200 Classic that was given to a school.  The person who recommended him to me is someone I have a tremendous amount of respect for in many ways and know would not recommend Ron unless his abilities and performance were anything but top notch.  My experiences with him on that scope were excellent.  I believe you will find the same.

Best Regards,

Bill Steen

Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

#10 garyinsanantonio

garyinsanantonio

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 04:30 PM

Found your post and the problem you experienced with the Autostar board sounds similar to mine.  I go through the 2 star automatic alignment process successfully, but when I try to Go To an object, the scope either freezes (although the handset says it is slewing) or it slews to a completely wrong part of the sky.  The hand controller can still be used to position the scope, so it is not a motor drive problem.  Were you able to get a new control board?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users