• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 bloomoon10

bloomoon10

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 07:41 PM

I received a DS 2000 114mm for Christmas a couple of years ago, and am just now getting around to trying it out. I am fascinated by this machine and am excited to explore with it. But I think something must be wrong. As I understand it, the image should be inverted when I look through the eyepiece. I get that, but when I look through my eyepiece, the image isn't entirely inverted, it's inverted left to right, but not quite top to bottom. So if I was looking at a STOP sign, the letters would appear backwards, but the sign itself would be at an odd, almost 45 degree angle. It's the strangest thing. Another example, (with the eyepiece out) if I hold my hand up in front of the tube, such that my fingers are pointing straight to the ceiling, the image I see when I look throught the focuser is my fingers pointed off at a nearly 45 degree angle. I figure this can't be right. So I called the place that it was bought from and asked why I wasn't seeing a completely inverted image and they said it depends on where you're standing. It didn't really make sense to me. So I called Meade and they're looking into it (and suggested I check out this forum!). Being compulsive as I am, I started trying anything. So I rotated my tube such that the eyepiece holder is pointing off to the side at a completely horizontal angle. This means that my tube isn't really centered because the eyepiece focuser knob would hit the mounting arm otherwise (and I'm not sure if this imbalance will be a problem?) But this makes looking through the eyepiece challenging as I have to crouch down and get at a 180 degree angle to it. But that's the only way I can look through the eyepiece and see a truly inverted image. If I adjust the tube to what seems like a normal position, the image goes back to being slanted.

Can anyone tell me if my telescope is working properly? From every video I've seen, I've always seen people using their telescope looking down through the eyepiece because the eyepiece is at what seems to be about a 45 degree angle. Any ideas or suggestions are most welcome! Thank you! We're supposed to be taking it to a star party in a few days and I really want to be able to use it!

#2 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2744 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 22 July 2014 - 03:05 PM

Hello, and Welcome to the Forum!

Yes, what you are seeing is normal.  If the focuser is at a 45 degree angle, you will see things at a 45 degree slant.  It is a bit confusing, but that is the way it works.  It has to do with the angle the secondary mirror is compared to the reference object.  As you rotate the scope, but still look into the eyepiece from the same angle, the image rotates.

With a telescope with an even number of mirrors, which yours has, the image is the same as the original, just rotated 180 degrees for each two mirrors.  With something with an odd number of mirrors, like a refractor with a diagonal, the image is completely reversed.  Again, what you actually see in the eyepiece rotates as the diagonal mirror rotates around its axis.

Hope this helps,

Bill Steen

• Mark Sibole likes this
Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users