4 replies to this topic

#1 Clear Skies

Clear Skies

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 12:29 AM

Hi Meade,

Received my LX850 mount yesterday. OTA will be delivered at a later date as none are available in Europe for immediate shipment.

The primary use for my LX850 will be visual astronomy, using it as a mobile setup. I am not expecting to use StarLock a lot and if I do, it will be mounted on top of the 14" OTA. The mount's saddle plate with the second mounting option and the (optional) StarLock counterweight therefor has little to no use for me.

Has anyone replaced the saddle plate with an aftermarket Losmandy style baseplate? What will fit?

Clear ones,

Victor

Victor van Wulfen

author of the Clear Skies Observing Guides - A Modern Day Celestial Handbook
Twitter - Facebook - Google+

#2 gspie

gspie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts
  • LocationScottsdale, Arizona

Posted 19 July 2014 - 07:00 PM

I have an after market Losmandy plate mounted on my TAK FS 60, it fits correctly
LX850 with 10" ACF OTA and Takahashi FS 60C OTA -- SBIG STT-8300M CCD with FW8G-STT Self Guiding Filter Wheel and SBIG AO-8 Adaptive Optics -- Camera Control and Image Calibration with Maxim DL/CCD Pro, Image processing with PixInsight, and final composition with Photoshop CS5

http://home.comcast....ie/astroweb.htm

#3 Clear Skies

Clear Skies

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 11:02 AM

Thank you for your reply, gspie.

I contacted Baader and learned that the LX850 "puck" is identical to the AP Mach 1. Most, if not all mounting plates will fit. Ordered their Pan 3" / EQ plate.

Victor van Wulfen

#4 Backroadrider

Backroadrider

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 03:14 PM

I assume Clear Skies is talking about the "saddle plate" which is the plate bolted to the mount head that clamps the "dovetail" plate attached to an OTA. That said, the LX850 bolt pattern is indeed identical to the Astro-Physics bolt pattern on their 900 & 1000 series mounts so an AP saddle plate will work just fine. I replaced my Meade saddle plate with an 8" AP saddle plate (DOVE08) and it works perfectly.

#5 Clear Skies

Clear Skies

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 01:14 PM

I assume Clear Skies is talking about the "saddle plate" which is the plate bolted to the mount head that clamps the "dovetail" plate attached to an OTA.

Indeed :)

Victor van Wulfen

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users