#2 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2679 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 11 July 2014 - 02:14 PM

Thanks, Mark!

I did not know Meade ever made an f/ 6.3 SCT!  I wonder why they don't make one now.

Bill Steen

Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

#3 JohnGraham

JohnGraham

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • LocationKettering, Ohio

Posted 12 July 2014 - 03:51 AM

The f/6.3s were dropped after f/6.3 focal reducer/field flatteners became popular and affordable. The native f/6.3 optics are also more difficult to produce than the f/10 sets.

Neat stuff.

#4 RickScofield

RickScofield

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts
  • LocationBellevue,Nebraska

Posted 14 July 2014 - 08:55 PM

Very intersting Mark thank you. I wonder where MEADE will be going in the future? I wonder what current platforms will be going forward?    

#5 Mark Sibole

Mark Sibole

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2359 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 08:06 PM

Rick,

I have no clue any more.With all of the changes the company has made it has been hard for even mee fo find things out and get return e mails.

Times have changed thats for sure and im not sure who knows the direction things are heading unfortunatly.

Mark Sibole
MTSO Observatory
Fife Lake, Mi.

http://astronomy.qteaser.com

#6 Mark Sibole

Mark Sibole

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2359 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 08:17 PM

The f/6.3s were dropped after f/6.3 focal reducer/field flatteners became popular and affordable. The native f/6.3 optics are also more difficult to produce than the f/10 sets.

Neat stuff.

A long while back I did a dise by side compairism of a LX200 10 inch f/ 6.3 and f 10.

Views were very nice in both scopes.I liked the wider FOV the 6.3 offered but liked the higher power the f/10 provided.

I at that time purchased a 6.3 focal reducer and re examined things.

To me they both preformed very well in identical conditions and both hade the same crisp images and FOV.Pro of the 6.3 is wider fov and a bit more light gathering.Con was a need for a barlow on some things that you wouldnt need at native f/10   on the f/10 scope pro was not much need for a barlow for a lot of the smaller planets or nebula.only com was the additional purchase of a .63 focal reducer but it was worth its weight in gold.

I wish sometimes while imaging i would have purchased the .63 version of the scope then added a focal reducer getting it down to f/4ish with no coma.Now i just swap out scopes depending on the need.Small refractors piggybacked on the 10 inch fro the etx 90  to the etx 125 to the explore scientific 80 mm and 102 mm.One day ill attempt to mount the LXD 75 SN to it and see if the drives can handle it.But right now im running way behind on everything including imaging due to lousy weather  life in general and Multiple sclerosis issues.But its still all set up in the Obs for any time i want to fool about with it.

I go out weekly to open the roof and fire up everything to make sure there are no issues so when i can get out to play i know ill be running 100 percent.

Mark Sibole
MTSO Observatory
Fife Lake, Mi.

#7 Bob Hess

Bob Hess

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationPanama City Beach, Fl

Posted 05 August 2014 - 11:13 AM

Mark,

Thanks for posting this. I had read it a year or so ago when I was using a 2080 LX6 that a friend let me borrow for almost two years while I was kind of getting back into astronomy after a 35 year hiatus. When I was trying to learn more about that particular scope, and the Yahoo LX3, LX5 LX6 group was amazing, I ran across this. I wish someone would bring it up to the current line of scopes. I'm now learning how to use the 10" LX200 GPS scope that I purchased a couple of weeks ago (lightly used 2003 variety). I saw more in three hours with that scope the other night than I had ever seen in a full night of star hopping. WOW. Can't wait to take it out to a dark sky site.

Bob Hess

Project Manager

Remember: Wherever you go, there you are!

#8 Mark Sibole

Mark Sibole

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2359 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 01:33 PM

Yes a goto scope you cn see more in one night than most people see in a month.The LX200 series is a nice scope.I also have an LXD 75 mount i use mainly for solar imaging and a LS 8 i use for astronomy outreach for cub and boy scouts.

Mark Sibole
MTSO Observatory
Fife Lake, Mi.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users