14 replies to this topic

#1 Rigmonkey

Rigmonkey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 12:33 PM

Hi,

Is there any guide to the age of my newly bought Meade 8 inch 2080 with the serial number of 816399?

Thanks!

#2 Mark Sibole

Mark Sibole

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2368 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 05:29 AM

The 2080 is 20 plus years old.It was out before the lx200.

Going price for them right now if in good working order is about 350.

I used to have a chart someplace here on model years but i have no idea what i did with it.

• Ribo likes this
Mark Sibole
MTSO Observatory
Fife Lake, Mi.

http://astronomy.qteaser.com

#3 Mark Sibole

Mark Sibole

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2368 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 05:34 AM

It came out in the very early 1980s   also known as the LX3 with quartz drive

i just did some searching and depending on condition and acessorys from about 350.00 to 500.00

Mark Sibole
MTSO Observatory
Fife Lake, Mi.

http://astronomy.qteaser.com

#4 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 01:08 PM

2080 was the model number for the very first Meade 8" SCT, offered as a forkmounted combo with a synchronous AC motor drive. Later the same number was used to refer to the optical tube only, so it can be confusing. The LX series came later, being a combo of a 2080 OTA plus a crystal-controlled pulse drive.

• Ribo likes this

#5 Ribo

Ribo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationBoston

Posted 13 July 2014 - 04:55 PM

I own a 2080 which I bought in (I think) 1983. I'm looking to have it serviced. Do you have any recommendations for me?

#6 steve.rosenow

steve.rosenow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationShelton, Washington

Posted 13 July 2014 - 11:48 PM

I own a 2080 which I bought in (I think) 1983. I'm looking to have it serviced. Do you have any recommendations for me?

What kind of servicing?

I am versed in experience servicing both the LX3/2080 all the way up to the LX6.

• Ribo likes this

#7 Ribo

Ribo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationBoston

Posted 14 July 2014 - 10:07 AM

The corrector plate need cleaning for one thing. I think it's tracking ok, but I never used it for photography so I'm not sure how exact it is.

I've had it for a very long time and the interior of the correcting plate is a bit fogged over. There are no on board electronics, as it pre-dates any of that.

So I'd say just a general cleaning & checkup. I'm thinking of sending it to Meade In CA for this. Not inclined to disassemble it myself.

What do you think?

#8 steve.rosenow

steve.rosenow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 09:48 PM

The corrector plate need cleaning for one thing. I think it's tracking ok, but I never used it for photography so I'm not sure how exact it is.

I've had it for a very long time and the interior of the correcting plate is a bit fogged over. There are no on board electronics, as it pre-dates any of that.

So I'd say just a general cleaning & checkup. I'm thinking of sending it to Meade In CA for this. Not inclined to disassemble it myself.

What do you think?

Meade will charge a hefty amount of money for any optical cleanup, and with a scope of that age they'd likely won't touch it unless you're paying for an optical overhaul, which includes a new corrector, secondary and primary as part of a replacement. That will run into the several hundred dollar range. 

I have heard from several sources, that Meade no longer services any of their older scopes.  Even including the LX200 Classic as well as the original ETX-90RA. Basically any telescope older than 15 years is stuck in the 'twilight zone' of no serviceability by the manufacturer.

One question: Does the back of your optical tube assembly have a decal on it, perchance, that reads "MULTI-COATED SILVERED OPTICS GROUP"?

One word about the 2080 - it was mainly a visual observing platform - as were much of the original LX3-upgraded 2080s. The only ones that were considered as an astrophotography platform were the LX3s that were sold with the optional Model 36 Drive Corrector hand controller,  and the optional Model 39 Declination Motor gear set. Those were used for precise manually-guided tracking corrections through the use of an off-axis guider body or a guide scope. 

The 2080 itself (pre LX3) could be used as a photography platform but it would require short exposures of less than a minute, that are further dependent on a precise polar alignment via the Kochab's Clock method, followed by drift-aligning the wedge. Otherwise, your stars will trail across the frame.

As far as servicing it, I can either assist you, or walk you through it. I just finished overhauling the electronics on two LX5 telescopes for a customer. It's something I can do with ease.

Steve 

#9 Ribo

Ribo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationBoston

Posted 15 July 2014 - 07:51 AM

There's no decal now, but I remember a very small oval sticker on the back end near the focuser. Don't recall what it said.

I'm ok with no photo capabilities. I like to observe and to find what I'm looking for on my own without electronic assistance. Strange, I know. I still use my Tirion Sky Atlas 2000 & Burnhams Celestial Companion.

I'm sure you could clean up the optics if I choose that option, thank you. I'm still figuring out how deep I want to go on this, and I'm not sure I want to send it to Tijuana.

Do you think it would be possible to swap out for the ACF & UHTC elements? They sound attractive improvements.

#10 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 10:26 AM

You can upgrade to UHTC and ACF. It's fairly expensive in the larger sizes (a buddy had a 16" done last year) but probably not too bad at 8".

The "MCOG" or "MCSOG" label on the back would be a square, black emblem below the optical port. The 2080 forkmount should be from well before those options were offered so it shouldn't be an issue.

• Ribo likes this

#11 steve.rosenow

steve.rosenow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 02:09 PM

At last I heard, the cost for a UHTC/ACF overhaul from Meade for an 8" Schmidt-Cassegrain OTA would be somewhere in the realm of $350.

• Ribo likes this

#12 Bob Hess

Bob Hess

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationPanama City Beach, Fl

Posted 15 August 2014 - 10:21 AM

I used a borrowed 2080 LX6 for a couple of years before recently purchasing a used 10" LX200GPS. When I got the LX6 from a friend he had no literature with it so I did a bunch of research to find out as much as I could about it, including joining the LX3-LX5-LX6 Yahoo Users Groups where I learned a lot and they have a ton of information and manuals and what not for these older scopes in files on the site. Note that the original 2080 was introduced in 1980. The designation 2080 for 8" Optical Tube Assemblies (OTAs) (and the 2120 for the 10" scopes) carried through to the LX3, LX5 and LX6 models which as noted above had more to do with the control system. The 2080 was actually reintroduced in the early 1990s and some were with a GEM mount. All of this can be found in Rod Mollise's "Uncle Rod's Used CAT Buyer's Guid" and the Meade SCT History. The serial numbers that I've seen (and some are shown on the Yahoo Group site) are hard to correlate to a year, unless you can get Meade to provide you that or someone else may know.

Bob Hess

Project Manager

Remember: Wherever you go, there you are!

#13 theandies

theandies

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 07:12 AM

Hey community, long time lurker (sorry) but I decided to register as I have a question about my SCT.
I have a Meade (of course) 2080 8" SCT with nothing but an RA motor. I let my son use it (he's 15) a few months ago and took it out the other day to observe Saturn. When I tried to focus I noticed a lot of mirror shift and a lot of rotational play in the focus knob. Also when getting close to full focus on an object there was very little movement of the knob before the object goes out of focus then when turning the knob back in the opposite direction the rotational play would kick in before being able to go in the opposite direction again.
My question(s) is would this be an easy fix and do any of you have procedures/pictures to help fix this? I've home built telescopes in the past but this was my first commercial scope (bought it in 1991). Also I cannot locate the original owners manual.  Does anyone have the Collimation procedure and/or a service manual for this telescope?
Any suggestion/feedback is greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Johh

#14 BBQedIguana

BBQedIguana

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 04:10 AM

Hi,

Is there any guide to the age of my newly bought Meade 8 inch 2080 with the serial number of 816399?

Thanks!

I realize this post is quite old, but I thought I'd try and help out. The serial number 816399 is likely from 1988 or 1989. I have a registry of old Meade LX telescopes (and the 2080/2120's before the LX), and I have noticed that the year of manufacture does relate to the serial number. Not directly, mind you - the year is not in the serial number. But the serial numbers appear to be sequential. I have one from 1987 which is a 2080 LX3 with serial number 811244 - your number is way after that. Another one I have is a 2080 LX6 from 1991 with serial number 820903 which is way after your number. So, we can safely say your scope was made after 1987 and before 1991.

I eventually will get more numbers and people will be able to figure out the year of their scope with more accuracy. The real problem is when the OTA gets deforked - the serial numbers are only on the drive base. I have a mid-80's 2080 OTA that had the Multi Coated Silvered Optics Group - which tells me is it likely 1985-1987, but I can't be sure, and there's not serial number anywhere inside or outside the OTA (I know, I had it completely disassembled on the weekend!).

I hope that helps! :)

Rick in Canada (eh!)

#15 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2879 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 30 March 2017 - 01:45 PM

Thanks, Rick!

Interesting history!

Bill Steen