• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 NewMeadeUser

NewMeadeUser

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 12:00 PM

I'm very new and thinking of buying the attached telescope.  Problem is I have no idea what model or anything it is so I don't know how much to pay for it.  It's posted on-line and I called and the seller couldn't find a model number for me to look it up.  So can anyone provide any information as to what model it may be?

Thanks

Attached Thumbnails

• Meade Telescope.jpg

#2 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2744 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 08 July 2014 - 03:39 PM

Hello NewMeadeUser,

Welcome to the Forum!  The telescope in the picture is, I think, an AutoStar DS-2114.  The mount it is on is the AutoStar generation 2 mount, which is good.  The scope has a very short focal length spherical mirror and a special booster lens in the focuser that corrects spherical aberation from the main mirror.  The combined focal length is 1000 mm and the diameter of the primary mirror is 4.5 inches or 114 mm.  When properly set up, with the right eyepiece, the scope should be capable of observing the Moon, major planets, many star clusters, and bright nebula.  Its strong suit is its convenient size and shape.  It will not have the sharpest or most contrasty images, compared to a refractor or long tube Newtonian telescope, but can provide an enjoyable evening of casual viewing.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Best Regards,

Bill Steen

Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users