• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mzura@alaska.net

mzura@alaska.net

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 07:04 AM

on close observation of the new 14" f8 scope I noticed that the front mounting screws were not fully secured is this normal?

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN0055.JPG

#2 cmiller46

cmiller46

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 06:47 PM

This is normal on LX850 OTA.  This is a set of push - pull screws that allows you to tweak the orthogonality of the tube / optical axis with the declination axis of the mount.  Precise orthogonality is needed to insure accurate "go to" slews.  Using a product like TheSky with TPoint, the software can tell you how non orthogonal the OTA is.  This allows you to use the push - pull screws to adjust the OTA relative to the Losmandy plate / DEC axis.    Small adjustments have big results.

It is also possible to test / adjust the DEC orthogonality by observing the same star via a meridan flip and adjusting until the star remains centered on both sides ot the meridan.  You can probably find this technique documented somewhere on the Internet.

On my 12" LX850 OTA, I was able to get the OTA orthogonal to less than 12 arc seconds with only a few TPoint runs.  I am not sure further tweaking is needed since most slews only have arc minute accuracy.

Charlie

#3 mzura@alaska.net

mzura@alaska.net

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 07:08 AM

Man, This is not mentioned in the manual at all,  How did you find out about this?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users