#1 BABFB

BABFB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 04:32 PM

Hello Folks,

A friend of mine bought a TeleStar at an auction or garage sale. He asked if I could get it going. I simply cannot get this thing to focus. Since the Secondary optic was so scratched up I replaced it w/ a DS-2114 Secondary optic. And it did not have the lens in the focusing tube. I installed a lens from a DS-2114 I had laying around.

I simply cannot get this thing to Focus. "Could the Optic substitutions be the reason why?" I'm thinking not, but am not sure. It's a real nice little scope. Everything else works fine. Would Love to get it focused."Any ideas from anyone?" Thanks.

#2 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2681 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 05 May 2014 - 05:23 PM

Hi Burt,

With the 114, it is a long tube scope with a real 910 mm focal length mirror.  The 2114 is a 450 mm mirror with a 2.2X booster lens to get it to 1000 mm.  If you have the booster lens in the focuser you put on the 114, you will need to take it out.  Assuming the replacement focuser is tall enough, the scope should then come to focus.

Best Regards,

Bill Steen

Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

#3 BABFB

BABFB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 06:16 PM

I was thinking about that tall enough thing. As I learned from the eye pieces I got from you this is very similar. When the focus tube has been run all the way out it is starting to focus a bit. Made me think of the 2" Extension I got for my 8" that works wonderfully now with that addition. Thinking of contacting Telescope Warehouse and order all optics for a 114. I'm just not sure that is necessary. But I am sure it is. I think the biggest problem is that lens I stuck in the bottom of the focus tube, but I could be wrong. Not sure of any spec differences there. Thanks Bill.

#4 BABFB

BABFB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 05:13 PM

Hey there MistrBadgr. Since I have not been able to get this DS-114 to focus I bought some cheap .965 eyepieces to try and get something going. Well, the new ones did not work. On a whim I took that lens that I took from a DS-2114 out of the focuser that I did put in. Now I can focus it on a beacon at the top of a radio tower. But it as the very end of the focuser travel.

Does that sound correct? Does this DS-114 not require a lens at the bottom of the focuser on the inside of the scope? I just assumed it needed one like the DS-114.

Well, I'm gonna set this thing up after I Train the drive and stuff and see what happens.

Thanks MistrBadgr

#5 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2681 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 06:01 PM

Hi Burt!

That long tube DS-114 should not need a booster lens in the focuser.  It is a real f/8 reflector with roughly a 910mm focal length.  Unless there is something wrong with the mirror, it should really come into focus with the focuser height somewhere in the 3 to 4 inch range.  I happen to have one of those at the house with a so-so mirror in it.  I will get it out when I get home this weekend, focus it on a star using a Meade 4000 series eyepiece, measure the distance from the metal tube to the top of the focuser, and let you know what that distance is.

If you are sticking a booster lens into the focuser, it is serving as a barlow.  The only problem is that it has the spherical correction in it for an f/4 mirror.

Bill

#6 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2681 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 06:58 PM

Well, I got home.  Two nights in a row now the sky has been overcast.  I will focus the scope and measure the height of the focuser to the eyepiece as soon as I get a clear night.

Bill

#7 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2681 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 06:21 PM

Hi Burt,

I just got the DS 114 that I have to focus on Jupiter and its moons, a nice big bright spot that is hard to miss.  The distance from the metal telescope tube to the top flange on the focuser that the eyepiece fits up against measured 4.25 inches.  This figure will vary some, depending on how far in or out the mirror is due to collimation and what the exact focal length is.  These scopes are nominally 910 mm focal length.  I was using a Meade 4000 series 32 mm Plossel.  There is no booster lens in the focuser, etc., just a straight shot to the secondary mirror and on to the primary.

Bill Steen

#8 BABFB

BABFB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 07:11 PM

New question for you MstrBdgr. This little scope is a pretty cool little scope. But now I have all the optics dialed and I just realized the fuzzy image with  my 6mm eyepiece is the vibration from the gears or motor when it quits slewing and locks in to track. If you dial down the slew rate to slowest and hit the move buttons it clears. When you stop and let the tracking engage it gets fuzzy with a real high frequency vibrating or shaking. any ideas on how to dampen that down a bit? I like this scope. It tracks excellently, it just vibrates, but it stays on it target.

Thanks MstrBdgr

#9 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2681 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 06:35 PM

Hi Burt!

I don't know on the old DS mounts.  I have not been into one of the drives.  I have a DS 114 that has messed up gears on the outside and no drive units to go on it, but I do not remember much about it.  I have it packed away right now with things in the way to getting to it.  You might look at the gears that mesh between the dirve units and the mount and make sure there are not any rough places on them.

Sounds like a gear mesh issue somewhere.

Bill Steen

#10 BABFB

BABFB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 03:00 PM

Hey Bill, don't go digging anything out. It seemed to work just fine last night. I did a calibrate Motor and I guess? maybe that did the trick. I had mostly atmoshperic distortion problems ast night. all does seem well at this moment. Possible false alarm.

Take Care Bill....Oh, using the eyepieces I got from you and a 2" Barlow I saw the most amazing view of the Globular Cluster of M-5 last night. Never saw a more inspiring image of a globular cluster. That peeks my interest in what I thought were not interesting objects. M-5 for sure changed my thoughts on that. 

#11 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2681 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 03:14 PM

Thanks, Burt!

Glad you got it worked out or it worked itself out.  Good to hear you are enjoying the eyepieces.

Bill

#12 Codeman

Codeman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 10:51 AM

My first scope was a DS114 Telestar w/ Autostar handset and it came with those smaller eyepieces.  I changed out to 1.25" and put on an electronic focuser.  It works very well.  Even took my first film shot of the Moon with the scope.  Have since used a digital camera with it, a Nikon 4300,  Got an attachment so to mount the camera to the eyepiece.  I have upgraded to a LX200GPS 10" but still use my smaller scope at times.  

#13 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2681 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 12:43 PM

I have felt those were nice scopes.  They had a true f/8 reflector on them...kind of hard to beat for starters, if properly made.  The mount was a good attempt at automation, but tended to have some problems, which created  the need for an improved mount.  After several different itterations over a number of years, the generation 2 DS-2000 mount is pretty much what they needed when the DS 114 was introduced.

Bill Steen

#14 BABFB

BABFB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 06:15 PM

Howdy MistrBadgr. Quick question. "On my second hand TelStar DS-114 what are the little allen head set screws for on the external R.A. & Dec drive motors?" I am trying to tighten up some slack in the R.A. gears, with not much luck. Maybe if I knew what those were for that could help me out. Thanks.

#15 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2681 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 09:08 PM

Hi Burt,

I really have not looked at those. I have a couple of the drive motors, but have not attempted to take them apart. I am away, getting ready for a nephew's wedding.

If you happen to figure out what it is before I get a chance to look at it, please post.

Bill

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users