3 replies to this topic

#1 derekpw

derekpw

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationMercer Island (Seattle), Washington

Posted 03 May 2014 - 10:17 AM

Hello.  I have a 12mm CEMAX eyepiece and a CEMAX 2x Barlow.  Does anyone have the 25mm or 18mm eyepieces and what can I expect to see that I can't with the 2 I already have?  Is it worth the extra $80 each? Thanks. Derek

#2 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2780 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 03 May 2014 - 11:34 AM

Hello Derek,

Either of those eyepieces will give you less magnification but a wider field of view than what you currently have, by themselves.  The 18 mm along with your 2X Barlow would give you the equivalent of a 9 mm eyepiece, which would have a magnification half way between your 12 mm by itself and with your Barlow.  If you would like to have that in between magnification, then the 18 mm would be a way to do that.

Since you have a solar scope, which is specifically intended to view the sun, about the only way you would need a wider field of view that I can think of would be if you were having trouble finding the sun with the telescope.  If you are not having a lot of trouble just finding the sun, then you probably do not need a wider field of view.

I think it would be good if someone who really knows about solar viewing and this 40 mm f/10 scope would either verify what I am saying or correct it.

Bill Steen

Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

#3 derekpw

derekpw

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationMercer Island (Seattle), Washington

Posted 03 May 2014 - 11:42 AM

I am not having any problem finding the sun, just want to know if there is a reason to buy either of those other eyepieces. Thank you.

#4 Pentax Syntax

Pentax Syntax

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 04:36 AM

I have the Cemax 25 and 12.  The barlowed 25 is inferior to the 12.  The 18 would be my choice if I was going for a second Cemax.  I have an old Meade 17.5 MA that works great in the PST so I assume the 18 would be nice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users