8 replies to this topic

#1 derekpw

derekpw

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationMercer Island (Seattle), Washington

Posted 30 April 2014 - 07:40 PM

I have the 0.5A PST.  Yesterday, Tuesday, was the first time I actually got the scope out and looked through to see the sun. First, I just used the single filter, 1.0A, and then added the other filter.  I see a few sunspots but not much else.  About the prominences. I am looking at the edge of the sun all the way around but do not see any.  Are proms always visible?  When one occurs, does it happen slowly or do you actually see it move?  Is there any special way to look to see them?  Also, the surface.  I was expecting to see granulation when viewing through the double stack.  The image is darker but I really do not see anything stand out.  I guess I would like to know, what should I expect to see with just the eye, not using a camera.  Are the features active?  Can you actually see movement?  I am a newbie at this.  Today was my second time viewing.  Just want to understand more.  Thank you.

#2 derekpw

derekpw

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 07:48 PM

I should also say that I am using a CEMAX 12mm eyepiece. I also have a Coronado 2X barlow which I have not used yet.

#3 Mark Sibole

Mark Sibole

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2368 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 07:48 PM

If you are not seeing any proms or even granular surface feature you dont have the ethalon tuned properly.Single lens is easy  obtain focus and slowly tune the tuner rinng for the details you want to see.you can find a happy setting to see surface features as well as proms.As for the stacking kit you have to work back and forth with tuners to get the best results.It can seem tedious at first untill you know the scope more but when you get it it comes easier and you will see much more with it double stacked.

Regards

Mark

Mark Sibole
MTSO Observatory
Fife Lake, Mi.

http://astronomy.qteaser.com

#4 derekpw

derekpw

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 07:54 PM

Thank you.  Is there any instructions for tuning this ethalon?  I do not remember reading anything regarding focusing and tuning it.

#5 derekpw

derekpw

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 08:05 PM

I guess reading the manual would help.  I found the section on the etalon.  With a double stack, there seems to be an internal and external etalon adjustment.  Do you have to adjust both of them plus the focusing knob?  This must be the problem since I wasn't seeing much.  Thank you for pointing me in the right direction.

#6 Mark Sibole

Mark Sibole

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2368 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 05:25 AM

yes all 3 must be adjusted.Without adjusting them you may not see much.A double stack is a lot harder to tune.Try with out the double stack and get used to it.You should see some nice flares and surface features  with out the double stack.With the ethalon you can adjust for all of the flares and surface features or de tune it to use as a basic white light scope for seeing the sunspots.It takes a bit of time to get used to but it will become second nature to you in no time.Dont forget to make the minor adjustments on the ethalon as it will show all kinds of different features on the disk.

Mark Sibole
MTSO Observatory
Fife Lake, Mi.

#7 Mark Sibole

Mark Sibole

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2368 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 05:28 AM

here is an image I took through the PST during the venus transit.You will see features like this but much sharper.

It was low in the horizon when i took this image.

VenusTransitJune5-2012.jpg.jpg

Mark Sibole
MTSO Observatory
Fife Lake, Mi.

#8 derekpw

derekpw

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 02:53 PM

Where do you find the best spot to position your etalon adjustment?  In the middle, where?  If a prominence appears, how long do they actually last?  Seconds, minutes, hours, etc?  What about transiting of sunspots from one side to the other, at the sun's equator?

#9 Pentax Syntax

Pentax Syntax

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 04:41 AM

Tuning the Etalon is a bit of an art. It may be best to start with single stack to get the idea. There is usually a sweet spot where you can maintain granulation, detect filaments, see flares and still see the position of sunspots.  Please note that the tuning is affected by where the sun is positioned in the very small image circle produced by the blocking filter.  I think tuning is best done after you have centered on a tracking mount.  If you are not tracking, the tuning will change as the sun moves across the field of view.  I often tune for optimal view of each feature.  It is as important as focus on the PST.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users