4 replies to this topic

#1 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2679 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 20 April 2014 - 02:00 PM

I have a question for some of you eyeglass wearers, the ones who have to wear them when visually observing:  What is about the lower limit on focal length of a Plossl eyepieces that someone can use while wearing glasses?

Thanks,

Bill Steen

Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

#2 gspie

gspie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts
  • LocationScottsdale, Arizona

Posted 20 April 2014 - 08:29 PM

I find that I never need to wear my glasses when viewing through Plossels --I have 9mm, 12mm , 25mm, and 33mm Plossels, and have never had to use glasses with any of them -- simply a matter of focus to me...

LX850 with 10" ACF OTA and Takahashi FS 60C OTA -- SBIG STT-8300M CCD with FW8G-STT Self Guiding Filter Wheel and SBIG AO-8 Adaptive Optics -- Camera Control and Image Calibration with Maxim DL/CCD Pro, Image processing with PixInsight, and final composition with Photoshop CS5

http://home.comcast....ie/astroweb.htm

#3 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2679 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 05:24 PM

There is someone that I am particularly thinking about right now that has astigmatism and must wear glasses at least for some larger pupil sizes.  I am thinking that something down around 15 mm in Plossles should be good with someone that has to wear glasses, but I am not sure.  I guess I could put on my reading glasses and try it out.  I thought I would check this out with anyone on the Meade Forum that has astigmatism who would know.

Bill Steen

• RickScofield likes this

#4 RickScofield

RickScofield

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts
  • LocationBellevue,Nebraska

Posted 26 September 2014 - 06:19 AM

Bill,
I have extremly poor eye sight and wear trifocals but don't use them at all when looking through my eye pices. I have the complete set of the HD 5000 eye pices as well as 3 of the UWA eye pices,14MM , 8.8MM, and the 5.5MM ,all 1.25. The only problem I have with this is having to switch back and forth while viewing. I wear a red headlight that gets in the way of my glasses over my ears and can be a real pain when swapping an eyepiece or doing something that requires me to be able to see. I have tried to wear them but gave up because of the trifocal issue. I use an eye glass teather so I can switch back and forth.

#5 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2679 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 09:24 AM

Thanks, Rick!

That is good information!

Bill

• RickScofield likes this