5 replies to this topic

#1 Orange Roan

Orange Roan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 01:10 PM

Hello members, My name is Graham and I am from Worthing in the UK,

I am on my second LS8 , my first packed up after 2 months  use , It would not auto align and the camera could not find ANY control stars. This telescope was replaced by local importer under warranty. My second telescope, although it goes through the  Auto Align procedure and gives me message Good Alignment, fails to show the target in the wide angle EP supplied nor in fact in my 32mm EP, When I use to GOTO command for finding any object , even bright objects like Jupiter, it is never in the field of view of the  EP.

When I set up the telescope, I ensure that the tripod is EXACTLY level, and always set it up in the same position, ( I have 3 points set out on solid bricks for the tripod legs)  I have tried using 2 star align and again get the good alignment message but GOTO is again way off,

Please can anyone give me some suggestions to correct this

I do have a Skywatcher EQpro mount for my refractor telescope and this always puts the subject in the field of view of a 25mm EP

Many thanks

Graham

#2 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2957 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 07 April 2014 - 02:50 PM

Hello Graham, 

Welcome to the forum!  That happened to me a once after I had taken my scope for a long automobile ride.  What I had done in the process was bump the little camera on the underside and shifted its position a tiny bit.  I am away from home right now and do not have access to my LS 8, so I am a little fuzzy on what it is called, but there is a routine to align the little camera from what you see in the field.

If I remember correctly, you push the button to tell the scope to do that routine, it goes to where it thinks the object is, then it has you move the scope around with the arrow keys until the object is centered.  If I remember correctly, you then hit the enter button and the scope learns the relationship between the camera and the scope.  You might do this more than one time until objects come in dead center in the field.

Hope this helps,

Bill Steen

Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

#3 Orange Roan

Orange Roan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 11:17 AM

Thanks Bill

I take it you are refering to Training the Drive, I will give it a go, but the scope has not had any sort of bump,

Graham

#4 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2957 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 03:28 PM

Graham,

No, this is not training the drive.  Training the drive tells the scope how much backlash there is in the gear systems.  As the gears wear in, the backlash can change a little.  The routine I am talking about checks the relationship between where the little camera is pointing and where the scope is.  I would think this routine is in the same part of the menu tree as training the drives.

Bill Steen

#5 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2957 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 04:09 PM

Graham,

It just dawned on me that I could look at the instruction book file that can be downloaded from the regular Meade site.  Here is the function you need:

Go to "Setup," The three selections are "Align," "Preferences," and "Calibrate."  Select "Calibrate."  There are now three choices, "Azimuth Drive," "Elevation Drive," and "Finder Center."  Select "Finder Center." It is the one you want.

Bill Steen

#6 Mark Sibole

Mark Sibole

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2368 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 04:17 AM

Good info Bill.I havnt played a lot on the LS8 so im still learning things to.My main scope is the 10 inch LX200 and the LS8 is a field scope for outreach mainly.

Mark Sibole
MTSO Observatory
Fife Lake, Mi.

http://astronomy.qteaser.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users