• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 cmiller46

cmiller46

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 01:03 PM

In June of 2013, I purchased a 12" LX850 optical tube assembly for use on my AP900GTO mount.  As a long time Meade LX200 buyer (16+ years and 6 scopes), I love the ACF optics and was excited about the new internal focusing mechanism featured on the LX850.  I have not been dissappointed with the OTA or the focuser.

However, I am now starting my transistion into imaging and I very much want the f/5 focal reducer / field flatener that was promoted as part of the LX800/LX850 roll out.  In fact, a big part of my decision to purchase the 12" LX850 instead of a 10" RC scope was the promise of the f/5 reducer.

It is now almost a year and there has not been a single word on the f/5 reducer availability.  I would very much appreciate an offical statement from Meade as to the status of that reducer.

Thanks.

Charlie Miller

acf900gto@gmail.com

#2 cgordo5

cgordo5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 11:04 AM

I'm very interested in this also for the LX600.

Charles

#3 Mark Sibole

Mark Sibole

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2364 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 01:50 PM

I havnt heard a thing on them at all.But remember you can only reduce so much before coma sets in.you can still use the old reducers im sure but you will need to play with spacing to get what you want.On my 10 inch LX200 acf i can only use the 6.3 reducer with no spacers thus getting me about .7ish in reduction.Anything more its coma city for imaging.

Mark Sibole
MTSO Observatory
Fife Lake, Mi.

http://astronomy.qteaser.com

#4 gspie

gspie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts
  • LocationScottsdale, Arizona

Posted 09 April 2014 - 04:03 PM

I heard that work on it 'may' start up again when there is a new design and manufacturer to make it.

I too am waiting with baited breath. I've considered using my old f6.3 reducer, but that may introduce coma - not a good choice.
LX850 with 10" ACF OTA and Takahashi FS 60C OTA -- SBIG STT-8300M CCD with FW8G-STT Self Guiding Filter Wheel and SBIG AO-8 Adaptive Optics -- Camera Control and Image Calibration with Maxim DL/CCD Pro, Image processing with PixInsight, and final composition with Photoshop CS5

http://home.comcast....ie/astroweb.htm

#5 cmiller46

cmiller46

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 07:15 AM

It is my understanding that the original f/6.3 reducer was specifically designed for the f/10 SCT optical design.  So, using one with an ACF system at f/8 should not work very well.  However, I would be interested in seeing a post of an image taken with an LX850 OTA and one of the older reducers.  Also, I have seen reports that the back focus on that reducer was only 80mm -- not a lot of room for much more than a 35mm style camera. 

Hopefully the design of any new f/5 reducer would be based on it being threaded into the base of the primary mirror baffel tube.  This allows external focusers, filter wheels, etc. to be easily added and removed -- as long as the proper back focus distance was maintained to the camera.  The redesigned LX850 OTA now has a much larger interior opening in the 3.25" threaded adapter on the rear cell.  The interior of the 3.25" threaded adapter is now threaded, as well.  Obviously, Meade intended something to be screwed in there.

This weekend is NEAF -- maybe the new Meade management will come out of hiding and let the world know what the company's new direction is.

cm

#6 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2751 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 10 April 2014 - 04:06 PM

I was told that the f/5 focal reducer would not work on my LS 8 ACF.  It would not fit.  I do not know that the reverse is true, but I suspect that it is.  I have sent someone a note about any update on the f/5 focal reducer.  I have not heard anything yet, but I found out the person I sent the message to is out of the office right now.  It would certainly be nice to have out there for you and other folks with that kind of scope.  I would personally like to have an f/5 made for my LS 8 ACF.  That would be a powerful addition for the scope for visual work as well as imaging.

Bill Steen

Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

#7 ricmarti

ricmarti

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 06:01 PM

I just wanted to say that I too am waiting for the F5 focal reducer for the LX600.

I hope somebody finds out.

#8 ricmarti

ricmarti

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 06:02 PM

I just wanted to say that I too am waiting for the F/5 focal reducer for the LX600.

I hope somebody finds out.

#9 cmiller46

cmiller46

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 06:55 PM

Now that Meade seems to have turned the corner and products are in production, is there any further information about the focal reducer / field flatner for the LX850 OTA?

charlie

#10 bryanste

bryanste

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 09:45 AM

Good question.

Meade, where is the focal reducer? I'm sure its availability would raise confidence for those considering an f8 OTA purchase.

#11 handymanCT

handymanCT

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 09:31 AM

Don't bother, it will never be built -- Go to astro-physics website and buy this one -- Photographic-Visual Telecompressor (0.75x) (27TVPH) -- Works fantastic.  I can't say enough good things about it, Visually and Photographically its outstanding.

#12 gspie

gspie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 02:04 PM

It appears that is only for astro-physics scopes (it says it screws into the draw tube, so is very scope-specific).

LX850 with 10" ACF OTA and Takahashi FS 60C OTA -- SBIG STT-8300M CCD with FW8G-STT Self Guiding Filter Wheel and SBIG AO-8 Adaptive Optics -- Camera Control and Image Calibration with Maxim DL/CCD Pro, Image processing with PixInsight, and final composition with Photoshop CS5

#13 handymanCT

handymanCT

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 05:47 PM

Your dead wrong gspie -- I have it installed on my LX850 12" and I can assure you it works and attaches directly to the rear cell, you have to remove the visual adapter and screw the telecompressor directly to the rear cell.   Do I need to post a pic to prove it?

Here is exactly what I ordered from Astro-physics

Item    Price    Quantity    Total
ADASCTLM27    $60.00    1    $60.00
27TVPH    $250.00    1    $250.00
     Total of Your Order:        $310.00

Then to connect your camera, in my case a DSLR

ADA2003    $50.00    1    $50.00
PFCT    $50.00    1    $50.00
     Total of Your Order:        $100.00

#14 gspie

gspie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 05:55 PM

Not at all - I read that on the tele-physics website.
You say it fits into the rear cell - are there SCT threads in the other side of it? Do you need any other adapters (I use an SBIG STT-8300 which has 2" nose piece.
Is there a special part number?
I have been waiting a long time for the seemingly never to appear Meade part.

#15 gspie

gspie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 06:14 PM

Sorry, didn't see bottom if your post.
Thanks for the info

#16 handymanCT

handymanCT

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 04:31 AM

gspie -- Look here for more options to connect other devices  http://www.astro-phy...o/telecomp3.pdf

#17 gspie

gspie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 11:32 AM

I too got tired of waiting with no word from Meade. I have just purchased the astro-physics Telecpompressor -- with adapter for Meade SCT back. With my (rather long) CCD imaging train, the only other adapter I needed was the ADA2003 compression ring adapter for my cameras 2" nose piece.

#18 ricmarti

ricmarti

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 03:12 PM

I am writing to get a status report from one of the members who is using the Astro-Physics telecompressor on the Meade LX850 or LX600. Did the compressor work as hoped or was their any problems?

I have an LX600 and I hope someone can also tell me if this compressor would work on a LX600? Is the LX850 and LX600 optics the same?

Thanks for your input.

#19 gspie

gspie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 06:31 PM

I'm using it with my 10" and it functions quite nicely. You d need to make sure you get the proper set of spacers t teach the recommended path length. With my camera, filter wheel, and adaptive optics, I didn't need any spacers.

#20 gspie

gspie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 06:32 PM

The tubes are the same, it's the mount that is the big difference

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users