4 replies to this topic

#1 cmjrff

cmjrff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 11:24 AM

Dear Group:  I am trying to get a more precise collimation of my sn8at.  When I look through the focuser tube, the secondary mirror image is oblong as expected with an SN scope, but it is oriented in a direction other than reaching back toward the primary mirror.  Should I be concerned about this, and if so, what is out of adjustment?  I cannot seem to find any of the collimation adjustments that make a difference with this.  Thank you for any information and suggestions.  Charles

#2 Mark Sibole

Mark Sibole

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2368 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 11:51 AM

unless you have done a star test on it i wouldnt touch a thing until you do the test to see if you are off or not

Mark Sibole
MTSO Observatory
Fife Lake, Mi.

http://astronomy.qteaser.com

#3 cmjrff

cmjrff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 11:57 AM

Thank you for such a quick reply.

My star tests seem good and when I use my dslr for photos, the star quality is fine.  I sometimes observe with an astrovideo camera and that seems to be a lot more particular when it comes to collimation.  So you're saying the direction of the oblong image is not an issue?

Thanks again.

#4 Mark Sibole

Mark Sibole

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2368 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 05:44 AM

You should be fine then.On the video camera it could be that it isnt seated straight and cocked to one side or the other leading to some oblong stars.Like i said if the star test shows it right dont worry.Dont try to fix something that isnt broke.

Mark Sibole
MTSO Observatory
Fife Lake, Mi.

http://astronomy.qteaser.com

#5 cmjrff

cmjrff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 07:03 AM

Thank you Mark.