1 reply to this topic

#1 Meade

Meade

Meade Instruments

• Administrators
  • 178 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 02:37 PM

Hello 4M Community,

With the growing popularity of our Meade 4M Community, we decided to create forums to allow all of our members to interact with each other. Each forum will not only help you with your astronomy related problems, it will also help you post an event or share your photos. Since the 4M forums are outside of the 4M community, it requires everyone to create a new account.The account creation process is a 3 step simple process:
  • First, go to www.meade4m.com/forums
  • Next, click on register and enter in a username, password, email and the visual verification code. Read and check the 4M agreement.
  • After you hit register, an email will go to the account email you provided. The email will contain a link that you must click on to activate the account. You're done.
You can now start enjoying your account right away. Enjoy the 4M community!

Clear Skies,

Posted Image

#2 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2953 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 29 November 2017 - 07:45 PM

I have asked for a change in the procedure, due to the floods of spammers trying to get into the forum.  There has been a glitch in the system with verification emails, possibly due to the large number of spammers trying to set up user names, but not willing to put in a valid email address and then verifying that it is really a person wanting to post on the forum.  To put this into perspective, less than one percent of the user requests are actually people interested in astronomy.  The rest are people wanting to put an advertisement of some sort on the board.  Some are legal sales and some are not.  This forum is not intended to be an advertising mechanism for any business.

The change I asked for is that a verifying email not be sent out, and I would get on that section of the software and verify the applicant from this end.  At that time, I also set up the account such that initial posting is reviewed and approved by a moderator or administrator before it is actually allowed on the board.  This has been done to keep spammers off the forum as much as possible, without jamming the application system for real astronomy people that would like membership on the forum.  After a few posts, and the new poster is entering real astronomy related opinions, questions, etc., then the preview requirement will be removed.

It is my intention to verify new members within a day, two at the very longest....barring unforeseen circumstances.  At the present time, I am watching the board twice each day.  Same thing for any post a new person wants to put on the board.  I know this will be a bit frustrating during that first few posts for new people, but please be patient.  The intent is to keep things off the forum that should not be there, but not completely restrict access to people with a real interest in astronomy.  Once we know that a person is really interested in astronomy, then all the restraints come off and you will be able to post immediately.

Thank you.

Bill Steen

• Stratocaster likes this
Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users