• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Edtriumph

Edtriumph

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 08:14 AM

Based on what I have read, the DS2114 recieved as a gift a few years ago is a gen II model.  The up and down motion works like a charm but the horizontal motion only partially works.  I tightened the bolt underneath the battery pack and it wouldn't move at all.  Then the bolt was loosened and it's back to partially working again.  Also, the bolt holding the mount to the tripod is tight.  Any ideas on how to correct the horizontal issues?

#2 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2767 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 05 April 2014 - 10:17 AM

As a start, have you tried loosening up that bolt under the battery pack until the bolt actually wiggles a little?  Try making the mount move with the bolt really loose and see what happens.

If you remove the bolt, there is a washer under the bolt that you can remove and inspect for burrs.  Then, look at the radial pin bearing under that and see if there is anything stuck in it or any part of it that looks out of position compared to the rest of the bearing.

Something having to do with that pin bearing is the most likely cause of your problem.

The bolt holding the mount to the tripod should not affect the motion of the mount.  It screws into a solid chunk of the bottom bell.

If what I said does not solve the problem, there there is most likely something going on with the drive portion itself, inside the lower bell.

The bolt under the batteries is what holds the mount bottom and top sections together.  I normally leave mine finger tight and do not even put a wrench or socket on them.

Hope this helps,

Bill Steen

Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

#3 Edtriumph

Edtriumph

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 11:04 AM

Thanks! I'll inspect the washer and the radial pin bearing this evening. The bolt was loosened but not to the point where it would wiggle.  I'll try that after inspecting the washer.   Hopefully this will solve everything, even though the telescope is 4-5 years old, it has only been used a couple of dozen times.  I'll let you know......

#4 Edtriumph

Edtriumph

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 07:29 AM

After removing the bolt, the top washer was inspected for burs and it seemed fine.  Next, each pin in the radial pin bearing was checked and they seemed okay.  The bottom washer seemed fine as well.  When replacing the three items, I noticed something sticking to the top washer (a bur?)  Perhaps it stuck to my finger while checking the lubricated pin bearings and then to the top washer while handling it.  After the scope was reassembled, the motor was tested with better results.  The weather is iffy, but hopefully it can be fully tested tonight.  Thanks for the suggestion.

#5 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2767 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 03:55 PM

You are very welcome.  Please let us know if how this works out....good or bad.

Bill Steen

#6 Edtriumph

Edtriumph

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 07:42 AM

Happy to report that it worked great last night.  :)  Since I'm surrounded by trees, the automatic tracking method is used instead of Easy Align. Perhaps a trip to the open country side will be planned.  Also used the Orion steady mount and Canon Elf to take pictures of the moon.  It's going to take practice, the images didn't come out as sharp as desired.  Think I'll practice during the day using a distant lamp post as my subject. Thanks again.  -Eddie

#7 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2767 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 04:05 PM

That is great!  I am glad to hear things worked out well.

Bill Steen

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users