#1 Bin-Star

Bin-Star

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 11:46 PM

Hello,

I’m LX80 user.

My LX80 is broken and one year warranty period is already expired.

Broken part is gearbox like this.

ef81860a3ec88b8b5c23c5e90a84048daa293fda

Plastic was melted by heating of motor.

So, I’d like to purchase LX80 R.A. Motor Gearbox (including motor and encoder).

I found Meade web shopping deal in “LX90 R.A. Motor Gearbox” ( http://store.meade.com/parts/lx90-r-a-motor-gearbox.html )

But they are not LX80 spare parts.

Can I purchase LX80 R.A. Motor Gearbox (including motor and encoder)?

#2 rrankins

rrankins

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 07:00 AM

Unless the "new" Meade is willing to start selling replacement parts for the newer scopes, I think you're pretty much out of luck.

Your only option probably will be to send it back to Meade for repair.

I'd suggest calling Meade support and see what they can do for you.

#3 Bin-Star

Bin-Star

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 08:47 AM

Unless the "new" Meade is willing to start selling replacement parts for the newer scopes, I think you're pretty much out of luck.

Your only option probably will be to send it back to Meade for repair.

I'd suggest calling Meade support and see what they can do for you.

Thank you very much for your advice.

Meade is selling LX850 spare parts.

I think LX850 is new model

It's easy for me to purchase the spare part than sending so heavy mount.

By the way, Does any one of Meade watch this forum?

#4 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2825 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 02 March 2014 - 02:35 PM

Someone watches part of the time, I think.  The LX 850 is the LX 800, just beefed up.  You do need to talk to the Meade folks.  They are showing spare parts for a number of the newer scopes on their on-line store at Meade.com.  If you live outside the North America and cannot use the 1-800 number they show in Customer Support, you will need to communicate by mail.

If that does not work for you, let me know and maybe I can forward an email to an appropriate person, through a relay or two.

Bill Steen

Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

#5 brokenwave

brokenwave

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 11:40 AM

Hello,

I’m LX80 user.

My LX80 is broken and one year warranty period is already expired.

Broken part is gearbox like this.

ef81860a3ec88b8b5c23c5e90a84048daa293fda

Plastic was melted by heating of motor.

So, I’d like to purchase LX80 R.A. Motor Gearbox (including motor and encoder).

I found Meade web shopping deal in “LX90 R.A. Motor Gearbox” ( http://store.meade.com/parts/lx90-r-a-motor-gearbox.html )

But they are not LX80 spare parts.

Can I purchase LX80 R.A. Motor Gearbox (including motor and encoder)?

If you used a credit card to purchase it, you should have a 2nd year of coverage through the buyers protection benefit of your CC company.

It is some work to do but you could get a total refund of what you paid if you buy something to replace it (doesn't need to be a LX80)

Check out your CC benefits.

#6 rrankins

rrankins

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 03:31 PM

Unfortunately, the R.A motor gearbox on my LX80 appears to have suffered the same fate as yours today as well.

Did you have any luck getting it repaired or replaced?

#7 rrankins

rrankins

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 07:00 AM

To follow up - I called Meade support about my failed RA gearbox and asked if they have any replacement RA motor assemblies.

The do not have anything in stock.

The only option is to send it in and they'll attempt to fix mine.

The quoted repair cost - around $350 plus shipping both ways!!!

And it would take 5-6 weeks turn-around time.

This seems exorbitant to me to repair a product that they know is faulty and have since discontinued.

I would think they'd be offering some sort of deal to us LX80 owners who purchased this mount based upon Meade's past reputation.

nearly all of my equipment is Meade equipment and I've been a proud advocate of Meade products over the years.

Despite all the other complaints flying around about the LX80, I was even touting how great my LX80 mount was for visual use this year at NEAF to someone interested in purchasing one and likely talked him into it.

I'm now feeling somewhat guilty that others may have purchase this mount based upon my recommendations.

Bill Steen - can you possibly put me in contact with someone above the first level of Customer support that may help me getting my LX80 repaired at a more reasonable price.

It seems to me that Meade owes their LX80 customers at least that!

#8 cyberruk

cyberruk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 11:32 AM

I'm waiting to see what can be done to fix my LX-80 mount. The shipping of the mount head will cost me somewhere between $200 and $300 each way plus cost of repairs. For that price, I can save an additional $250 and buy a decent mount from some other manufacturer. I cannot put my trust in Meade any longer.

If I get no response to a fix, I will gladly part mine out for the cost of shipping the parts to you. As a long time user of Meade and having invested over US$12,000 in their products over the last few years, I can no longer even consider them a viable future option. My RCX400 12" is in the process of being converted entirely - at a cost of about $2000 to new motors and control boards because Meade has no spare parts and no longer supports the telescope. Needless to say my future purchases will go to other suppliers of telescopes.

#9 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2825 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 06:38 PM

I have asked someone I know to read this and cyberuk's other string.  I believe he will.

Judging by the letters in Cyberuk's handle, I am assuming he lives in the United Kingdom.  If so, shipping to Meade is a big problem.  In the past, I believe there was some company that was supposed to do repair work on Meade products in the UK, probably for that very logistical reason.  Do you know of any such company, assuming that you do live in the UK.  If you do not, or live somewhere else, send me a Personal Message and I will see if I can find something out about wherever you live.

Rrankins, I believe, if the $350 is a fixed price, that they are gambling they can get your scope fixed for that.  That kind of work can be very labor intinsive.  Shop time in my local garage to make rather simple repairs to my wife's car ran over $100 per hour.  I expect the shop time on a telescope for a truly qualified rapair person is similar.  I can understand your concern over the price, but that price is probably real.

I cannot really negotiate a better price, changes in policy, or anything like that, but I can let someone know when things like this show up.  Sometimes they are in a position to help and sometimes not.  We will just have to wait and see.

Bill Steen

#10 rrankins

rrankins

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 07:42 AM

I'm waiting to see what can be done to fix my LX-80 mount. The shipping of the mount head will cost me somewhere between $200 and $300 each way plus cost of repairs. For that price, I can save an additional $250 and buy a decent mount from some other manufacturer. I cannot put my trust in Meade any longer.

If I get no response to a fix, I will gladly part mine out for the cost of shipping the parts to you. As a long time user of Meade and having invested over US$12,000 in their products over the last few years, I can no longer even consider them a viable future option. My RCX400 12" is in the process of being converted entirely - at a cost of about $2000 to new motors and control boards because Meade has no spare parts and no longer supports the telescope. Needless to say my future purchases will go to other suppliers of telescopes.

Thanks cyberUK - I may take you up on the offer for parts for the LX80.

Actually, I think I mistakenly mentioned that it was the RA gearbox on my scope that failed.

Looking at the LX80 manual, it's the DEC motor gear assembly that has failed - when operating in Atl-AZ mode.

It's the motor that changes the elevation of the scope itself, not the motor that turns the mount head east or west.

Thanks,

Ray

#11 rrankins

rrankins

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 07:51 AM

Rrankins, I believe, if the $350 is a fixed price, that they are gambling they can get your scope fixed for that.  That kind of work can be very labor intinsive.  Shop time in my local garage to make rather simple repairs to my wife's car ran over $100 per hour.  I expect the shop time on a telescope for a truly qualified rapair person is similar.  I can understand your concern over the price, but that price is probably real.

I cannot really negotiate a better price, changes in policy, or anything like that, but I can let someone know when things like this show up.  Sometimes they are in a position to help and sometimes not.  We will just have to wait and see.

Bill Steen

Thanks Bill - appreciate any help you can provide to help me get my mount repaired.

I understand you're not in a position to really promise anything, but was hoping you could at pass my issues/concerns on to someone at Meade that may be in a position to help.

It just seems to me that with a product that was as problematic as the LX80, someone at Meade would be willing to work with some of us loyal Meade customers to get problems resolved to try and restore Meade's reputation for quality products.

Since the scope is out of warranty, I'd be more than willing to attempt repairs myself if I could just get them to send me the replacement gears for the DEC motor assembly.

I would assume they'd have to have something in stock if they are going to be able to repair it.

Thanks,

Ray

#12 Mark Sibole

Mark Sibole

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2368 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 07:40 AM

Well it is a lack of quality control and proper beta testing.Im unsure who is doing their beta testing any more but they are letting way to many defects slip by or not addressing them or not giving the mount or products a proper work out before release.

Just my opinion.

Mark Sibole
MTSO Observatory
Fife Lake, Mi.

http://astronomy.qteaser.com

#13 ffchilehead

ffchilehead

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 05:46 AM

Fellow Meade LX80 Victims:  I too purchased an LX80 mount (with 10 inch OTA) back when they originally came out in 2011 and now have a RA motor that is malfunctioning.  By the way, this is the replacement RA motor that Meade had to replace under warranty after the first one arrived with a faulty RA motor.  It now skips gears making it impossible to align and is much noisier than before when attempting initial alignment.  There is a distinct excess amount of wobble in the RA axle too. don't think the motor has quite burned out yet because it still will move in RA.  I too contacted Meade and was told that I would have to pay for shipping plus a minimum of $500 for them to "look at it" with no guarantees of success.  Needless to say this is a totally unacceptable treatment of customers and certainly has negatively affected my willingness to ever purchase another Meade product.  However, I am very willing to spread the bad news about Meade if they do not deal with this problem in a more responsive and responsible way.  As it stands I am looking for a local electronics/machine shop to try their hand at it.  Not good news for the "new Meade!!"  I do plan to kick this higher up in the Meade corporate structure. Disgustedly yours.....ffchilehead

#14 cyberruk

cyberruk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 10:30 AM

Actually, Bill - I live in Canada - the handle is because of my real job cyber security (cyberruk = cyber rook).  ::)

And, yes, I will be parting out my LX80 mount after one final test at NYAA Starfest this week.

Anyone who is looking for parts can contact me off list at cyberruk (at) gmail (dot) com. I will start dismantling the drive next week.

#15 cyberruk

cyberruk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 03:49 PM

Hi all:

I have now replaced my LX80 mount so it is ready for disassembly and parting out to forum members who need parts. Please contact me off-line at cyberruk at gmail dot com and let me know what you need. I have all of the innards of the drive head. 

I will package up and ship (you pay the cost of packing plus shipping) by PayPal to crabinov at rogers dot com. I will provide cost, etc. and as soon as payment is received, I will ship the parts immediately.

Francois van Heerden

#16 Rob357

Rob357

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 03:22 PM

Francois:

If I may ask, what mount did you replace your LX80 with for your RCX400 12"?

Thanks

Rob

#17 KGL

KGL

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 February 2015 - 05:18 PM

I bought an LX80 in 2012 and due to work and my location unable to use it until recently.  Well now I've had the LX80 dec stop working after the second use.  I can still hear the motor spinning so I assume it's a gear issue!  Has there been any change in parts availability for the LX80 and anyone know where I can find an exploded schmetic of the mount head? Thanks...

#18 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2825 posts

Posted 07 February 2015 - 09:16 PM

Your best bet is to call customer support.

There is no information available about what is inside the scope that I know about.

Bill Steen

#19 spiral

spiral

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 08 February 2015 - 02:20 PM

You know , that looks a lot like the gear box on the LX90's ..Is the whole black piece that houses the gears plastic??

#20 rrankins

rrankins

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 08 February 2015 - 02:33 PM

KGL - sounds like what happened to your DEC gear assembly is the same thing that happened to mine. The motor was fine, but something in the gears either stripped or broke.

I called customer support and a repair would have run about $350, plus shipping out to them (the fee included return shipping).

I had trouble getting them to just sell me parts as apparently they don't really have any LX80 parts on hand.

However, I was able to get the name of a contact person from someone on Cloudy Nights that was able to track down and have a new DEC gear assembly sent to me for $70.

If you PM me, I'll can get you the name and email of the person that helped me out and hopefully he still works there.

As for a schematic, I wish I could find one as well, so I would know what I need to remove in order to replace the DEC gear assembly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users