#1 steve.rosenow

steve.rosenow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationShelton, Washington

Posted 06 February 2014 - 02:42 PM

Decided to get out the Meade LX6/2120 I got in December out several nights ago, and take some pix of some solar system bodies. Namely, the planets in the solar system currently visible in the night sky outside our orbit. :)

After fighting collimation issues for the last week, I took advantage of some crystal clear skies (and temps down into the teens) and had at it.

First target I set my eyes on: Jupiter

Posted Image

Then from there, it was a one-hour wait for Mars to clear the trees to the southeast. Capturing this was a bit tough since the cold started hardening the grease on the worm gear drive for the tracking motor. It started to affect my tracking a tad so I took some heat via a hair dryer to warm things up a bit.

Posted Image

After that, I decided to wait yet again for Saturn - this was about a one and a half hour wait. Once it cleared the same cluster of trees I opened fire with the telescope and my camera.

Posted Image

Last night was possibly the last clear night in quite a while, so I took advantage of it and spent a great deal of time gathering gigs of data on Jupiter. Needless to say, gathering all that data in sub-freezing temps with windchill temperatures down into the single-digits is NOT how I would prefer to do this (I really need a covered observatory!)

That being said, I set up the telescope and fired away the first of MANY 3.5-minute MOV files that I then loaded into Autostakkert!2 which converted it to the AVI. After processing it, I selected the best 80% of some 6,000 frames and went to town.

An hour later, I had an image to work with, to which I then loaded into Registax for final wavelet processing and then from there it was off to Photoshop.

About five hours of processing went into this gem! And I caught a nice Callisto transit, to boot!

Posted Image

#2 deepwaterescue4u

deepwaterescue4u

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 05:25 PM

Very nice thanks for sharing

what time is Saturn coming up

Terry

Meade LX200 14" ACF GPS
Meade 4 speed micro focuser
Milburn Wedge
Panama City Florida

Live long and prosper

#3 steve.rosenow

steve.rosenow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationShelton, Washington

Posted 11 February 2014 - 09:10 PM

Very nice thanks for sharing

what time is Saturn coming up

Saturn rises at just after 1 in the morning, and where I am it clears the trees off to my southwest at around 3AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users