#1 steve.rosenow

steve.rosenow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationShelton, Washington

Posted 26 December 2013 - 01:09 AM

A friend of mine in the astronomy hobby decided to be a bit generous - and decided to give me a freebie...

...in the form of a 10-inch Meade LX-6 Premiere 2120. It is a Series 70 model, that came fully loaded. It came with the encoders, CAT system, Model #1200 focuser, tripod, Superwedge, plus a host of miscellaneous goods (including two original Meade 25 and 9mm eyepieces of the era). It had been equipped with a Telrad finder but I only have the base now, and it also came with a 9x60 finder that I plan on using as a guider once I secure another 9x60 polar finder.

It also came with a binder about an inch thick with a host of manuals relating to the scope and the DRS/CAT system, plus a few other Meade odds and ends.

Here's a photo of it, pictured next to my LX5/2080

Posted Image

Posted Image

There is one small caveat. Before my friend got it, I don't think its previous owner ever changed the batteries in the encoder junction box. The batteries leaked out and severely corroded the PCB and contacts for the power cord, so I am having to completely overhaul it.

That, and the illuminated reticle port on the power panel doesn't work. The reticle itself works in the LX5, so it is something internal to the LX6 that I am currently unable to troubleshoot.

Other than that, it works perfectly fine and the DEC and RA motors move per the commands on the handbox!

#2 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2951 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 26 December 2013 - 07:35 AM

Looks like you have a good rig with lots of information about it for tinkering and the ability to do so. I am sure you will get it all fixed up and have a great time with it. Have fun!

Bill Steen
Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

#3 deepwaterescue4u

deepwaterescue4u

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 01:09 PM

You can use white vinegar to neutralize battery acid if anytime in the future you have leaking battery's

I hope you have a lot of fun with your new scopes..

Terry

Meade LX200 14" ACF GPS
Meade 4 speed micro focuser
Milburn Wedge
Panama City Florida

Live long and prosper

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users