3 replies to this topic

#1 G3oak

G3oak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 05:05 AM

Currently running the 1.6 version of the software. During its auto align process, it says it cannot find the alignment star because of obstruction (building, trees, etc), when the star is clearly in view in the scope.
I did a reset to factory defaults, shut it down and started it up, with no luck. After multiple attempts at finding stars without success it just defaults to the main menu. All the other steps (GPS, finding north, level) seem ok.
Anyone have an idea?
Thank you

#2 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2958 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 24 November 2013 - 06:39 PM

I have found that my LS 8 cannot verify stars that I can visually see sometimes. One of those times is if I try to get it to do an alignment too close to sunset, especially when I am in a location with a lot of light pollution. I suspect a high level of haze might do the same thing. I have found that when the issue was too close to sunset, I could wait a few minutes and the scope worked perfectly.

If necessary, I think you can go to a manual two-star alignment process to get things going.

Try the scope another day and see what happens.

The scope would also act this way if there was an obstruction for the little camera. You might look at the lens of the camera and see if there is anything on it.

Bill Steen
Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

#3 G3oak

G3oak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 08:18 PM

Bill,
Thanks for the reply. It was pretty dark (after 7pm Central) so sunset and light pollution was not the issue. It's just very frustrating that one spends this kind of money and have to deal with these issues.

#4 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2958 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 25 November 2013 - 03:14 PM

I certainly understand. If your scope is still in warranty, you might want to call customer service and talk to them about it.

Bill Steen
Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users