• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 JG Moreau

JG Moreau

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 05:43 AM

Hi, looking to buy a 12" LX 600 ans i am wondering how it will behave in the cold temperature here in Québec. Thanks much. Jean Guy Moreau.

#2 tlwarnke

tlwarnke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 11:42 AM

I don't see why it would work any differently than an LX200ACF or similar in cold weather. I have a LX600 10" and hope it works as good or better than my 8" LX200GPS did in the cold. It worked without issues.

Terry

#3 gspie

gspie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts
  • LocationScottsdale, Arizona

Posted 21 November 2013 - 05:13 PM

The only 'cold weather' issue I can see for the equipment is fogging of the corrector plate in high-humidity areas. A good Dew heater should take care of that
LX850 with 10" ACF OTA and Takahashi FS 60C OTA -- SBIG STT-8300M CCD with FW8G-STT Self Guiding Filter Wheel and SBIG AO-8 Adaptive Optics -- Camera Control and Image Calibration with Maxim DL/CCD Pro, Image processing with PixInsight, and final composition with Photoshop CS5

http://home.comcast....ie/astroweb.htm

#4 JG Moreau

JG Moreau

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 10:00 AM

Thank you for the replies.
I am worried about the lubrification (grease) that may get too stiff at -20C.
I suppose this has been cared about a long time ago.

Cheers,

#5 cgordo5

cgordo5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 02:26 PM

Any recommendations for a good Dew heater or cap for the LX600?

Thanks,
Charles

#6 tlwarnke

tlwarnke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 03:41 PM

Look at Astrozap.com

#7 quattroman

quattroman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationOppegård, Norway

Posted 24 November 2013 - 07:50 PM

Haven't had any problems in freezing cold temperatures with alot of ice buildup, here in Norway.
Sooner or later I'll be incountering use down to 0 degrees F. I'll report back if there is any problems:)

#8 gspie

gspie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts
  • LocationScottsdale, Arizona

Posted 24 November 2013 - 10:51 PM

It's all the humidity of your area. When Dew point approaches ambient temp. dew forms...Astrozap is a good source, that's where I obtained mine.
LX850 with 10" ACF OTA and Takahashi FS 60C OTA -- SBIG STT-8300M CCD with FW8G-STT Self Guiding Filter Wheel and SBIG AO-8 Adaptive Optics -- Camera Control and Image Calibration with Maxim DL/CCD Pro, Image processing with PixInsight, and final composition with Photoshop CS5

http://home.comcast....ie/astroweb.htm

#9 cgordo5

cgordo5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 07:50 PM

BTW, I bought a heated dew shield from Astrozap. I was out last night at 23 degrees F and the front lens stayed free from frost. The Starlock, spotting scope, and tripod start getting a frost buildup, though. I finally stopped when my eyepiece frosted up. I could have switched eyepieces and kept going, but I was getting tired anyway. I'm working my way through observing the entire Messier list.

Charles

#10 Mark Sibole

Mark Sibole

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2368 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 12:51 PM

Cold weather is a lot of fun lol.You need a dew heater for the front of the sct and one for starlock and 1 for eyepieces if you are doing visual.As I do mainly imaging i just keep a dew strip on the main scope and guide scope.As for gears and grease,Ive used my trusty LX200R or acf now in temps that have went down to 20 below zero actual temp with no problems.
Mark Sibole
MTSO Observatory
Fife Lake, Mi.

http://astronomy.qteaser.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users