1 reply to this topic

#1 G3oak

G3oak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 06:28 AM

I recently purchased the LS 6 and still getting acclimatized. Two things that I need clarification on...

Last night, for the first time, the align feature stopped shortly after the level function and therefore had to manually input to align. I shut it down and restarted it later and it worked just fine. I had played with it inside a little while ago to calibrate and had selected demo mode after it booted up. Could that have interfered ?

The second thing is the telescope has a high precision slewing option. The manual says nothing about this so would like the benefits/drawbacks of using this option vs normal slewing?

G3oak

#2 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2958 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 14 November 2013 - 05:13 PM

Hello, and welcome to the forum!

Even though I have an LS 8, I cannot speak to the particular problem you had. Possibly, the demo mode caused something. If this behavior repeats itself, please note what you did and anything else that you can think of that might be pertinent. I believe there are a few bugs left in the code, I ran into one in the dark with gloves on one time and locked up my LS 8, but was never able to get it to repeat....believe me, I tried to make it happen again. I have not had any funny glitches since that one, but I do believe there are a few traps in the programming that show up very rarely, but need to be identified and fixed at some point in time. What you encountered may be one of those traps.

Any details when things like that happen are welcome, to help someone track down the problem.

As far as the precision slewing goes, I believe the scope will first go to a known bright star nearest the object, take a picture and do an adjustment to its position, then move on to the object. In the regular slewing mode, it only does the alignment procedure at the start and relies on you to make any corrections......I think. With AutoStar I, you can push the upper left button on the handset, hold it in for a couple of seconds, then let it go. The handset will them beep at you. You then push the button again and let go. The scope adjusts its alignment for the object it thinks you are observing. I cannot remember definitely, but I am thinking the same thing applies to AutoStar III. I will check this out at my next opportunity with my LS 8.

Hope this helps,

Bill Steen
Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ls

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users