3 replies to this topic

#1 G3oak

G3oak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 04:47 AM

The LS has an option for high precision slewing but the manual says little about it. Can someone help me understand this function better and it's value versus regular slewing.

#2 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2955 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 14 November 2013 - 05:20 PM

See my post in your other post. The high precision slewing can be useful when someone is really needing to get an object centered, possibly something dim or something that cannot actually be seen by eye, but can be imaged and seen in the image. For visual work, I have not had any problems with my LS 8 locating the object well enough to put it in my field of view.

I do need to have it train its drives every now and then, like every six months or so, to keep the normal slewing feature working well. The drive training lets the scope know what changes have taken place in gear backlash or "slop." A certain amount of give is necessary for the gears to move at all. This will change slightly as gears wear in. With the very close tolerances in telescope movement in order to keep alignment good, the amount of backlash is important.

Bill Steen
Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

#3 G3oak

G3oak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 05:32 PM

Bill,

Thank you for addressing both topics in the 2 posts. It was very helpful. Granted I do break out in a cold sweat with all the stories I've heard on this software, hopefully it won't repeat.

#4 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2955 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 15 November 2013 - 03:09 PM

I understand! (smile)

Bill
Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users