• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 apoorcollegekid

apoorcollegekid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 10:55 PM

This is my first post and as my name suggests I am a poor college kid.

I have been given the amazing opportunity of using a 14" SC once a week for the past few months with my astrophysics professor. We have done some research about different stars, star clusters, and nebulae, with the main purpose of learning how to do research. Before this amazing opportunity I enjoyed astronomy casually, now after having been spoiled with such an amazing telescope I am wanting more.

So I have started the process of looking to buy my own telescope. I have done loads of research for the past month but am still having a hard time choosing. I am looking for anyone's advice on what type to get. I definitely want a Schmidt-Cassegrain that has ACF optics, but I am not sure what size aperture or mount to get. I want something that will be easy to move since I will be planning on driving out of town to use it, and will have the ability to be used for astrophotography.

However, since I am in college, I don't have $5000 to do whatever I want with. So what telescope will be able to provide great imaging power, is not super heavy, and not overly expensive?

Please don't be shy. Any advice will help

Thanks!
APoorCollegeKid

#2 Frankmmiii

Frankmmiii

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 08 November 2013 - 06:30 AM

Hey poorcollegekid,
Orion telescopes has a nice selection of telescopes to use and also offer OTA's instead of a whole package. Meade has some decent scopes also, I have their ETX90 with UHTC. It comes with their 26mm eyepiece, tripod with the ability to polar align and a nice flip setup to use a camera on the rear while having an eyepiece on the top. This allows you to look through the eyepiece then turn(flip) the lever to image with a camera mounted on the rear cell. I also have a "Classic" 10" LX200 with EMC(Super Multi Coatings)(UHTC) mounted on a Meade Super Wedge. I purchased this on another astronomy site, "Cloudy _ights" from a gentleman selling it. There are lots of places to research buying a used scopes. Good Luck.

#3 gunfighter48

gunfighter48

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 08 November 2013 - 05:10 PM

For portability I would pick either a 8" or 10" SCT. Your best bet is to buy a used one. Cloudy Nights and Astromart are two of the most popular sites. But do an internet search for used astronomy equipment and you should turn up many many sites. Also look on Craigslist, you can get some great bargins that way. Good luck on getting that scope! Also welcome to the forum.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: lx90, lx200, lx600, acf, sc

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users