• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Kellb75

Kellb75

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 06:22 PM

Trying to find lenses for a telestar refractor telescope model number 60eq. If anyone can help I appreciate it. I've tried the meade website but can't seem to find anything.

#2 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2800 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 04 November 2013 - 07:26 PM

Hello, and welcome to the forum!

I think the first thing to find out is the size of the eyepieces. Some of the older 60 mm refractors use 0.965 inch diameter eyepieces and newer ones use 1.25 inch, which is the standard size for most scopes. If you have the 0.965 focuser, the only eyepieces that are manufactured and for sale of any quality that I know about are made by Antares. The on-line store where I have seen them is handsonoptics.com.

The other option, if you have an 0.965 inch focuser is to buy a 1.25 inch focuser on eBay. There are several eBay store owners that sell all kinds of little telescope parts. One person in particular that can help you is Bill Vorce at Telescope-Warehouse. He also has an on-line store at www.telescope-warehouse.com, but what he sells there is a bit limited. His email address is scopehed@frontiernet.net. You might contact him and tell him what you are looking for.

If you have a 1.25 inch focuser, any 1.25 inch eyepiece will fit. If you want any recommendations on focal lengths to get, just holler back. Generally, Plossl eyepieces are good general eyepieces to use. I use those a lot with 60 mm refractors that I have, as well as on many other scopes. The Meade 4000 series are, in truth, about as good as anyone really needs. There are many other eyepieces that are better, but that is more a mater of getting very serious with the hobby and means shelling out a lot more money. Plossles will serve you well with your scope and give a lot of value for the money......Well, I guess I will tell you my opinion on focal lengths. A 32 mm Plossl is about the best finder eyepiece you can get, (IMHO) From there, I recommend 20, 15, 12.4, then a 2X Barlow. The barlow goes in front of the 20, 15, and 12.4 to give you the equivalent of 10, 7.5, and 6.2 mm.

When I am using that setup, I start with the 32 mm in my NG 60 (60mm refractor with a 700 mm focal length) The 32 mm gives something like a 2.3 degree true field of view to really help find things. Then, I step in the following order until I get the magnification I need for the object. 20 mm, then 12 mm, then put in the Barlow and the 15 mm, then 12 mm again with the barlow. For most things, there is no point in going past the 12 mm eyepiece and the Barlow. That gives you a magnification range of about 21X with the 32 mm, down to around 112X with the 12.4 mm and the Barlow. Viewing the Moon is about the only thing that can use a power higher than that with a 60 mm scope. Normally, the image degrades and gets dimmer with magnifications as they go above about 60X with that size of a scope. Images are useful up to maybe 120X, other than the Moon.

In general, Possles are good down to about 8 mm. Below that, the image starts to degrade compared to using a longer focal length and a Barlow.

I will stop there. That is probably a big enough data dump and more than you asked for anyway.

If you have any questions, do not hesitate to holler back. Either I or someone else will be happy to share their opinions with you.

Best Regards,

Bill Steen
Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users