• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 fjk5146

fjk5146

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 01:03 PM

I just obtained an early production LX80 mount. I also purchased a Meade DC (Cigarette lighter plug) cord to use with my power pack. When I connected the power cord to the LX80's power jack I noticed that the plug was very loose in the jack. In fact, if I bumped the power cord the power to the scope would sometimes go off.

After considerable investigation I determined that the Meade DC power cord uses a 5.5mm x 2.5mm Female DC plug (it is my understanding this cord is supposed to work with all Meade scopes). When I measured the power connector on my LX80 I determined that the scope was produced with a 5.5 mm x 2.1 mm Male jack. After talking with another member of our astronomy club who owns an early LX80 he indicated he was having the same problem. I can only conclude that some of the early LX80 mounts must have been constructed with an incorrect power jack.

With a little research I found the following adapter that solves the problem.

Posted Image
It can be ordered from Jameco electronics (you also might be able to find one of these at Radio Shack). This link should get you to the Jameco listing for this device.

http://www.jameco.co...1&CID=PDF133CAT

This connector attaches to the end of the Meade power cord and plugs snuggly into the power jack on my LX80. If anyone else is having this problem this little adapter may resolve your problem.

It would be interesting to know if this problem has been corrected in current versions of the LX80.

Fred

#2 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2825 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 01 November 2013 - 03:14 PM

Thanks, Fred! That is a good piece of information!...or actually several.

Bill Steen
Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users