3 replies to this topic

#1 Mcoupe2000

Mcoupe2000

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 10:37 AM

Hello,

I am fortunate enough to live in an suburban area that is fairly dark without too much light pollution. A friend of mine offered me to go to his ranch - 1 hour or so away - and use my LS8 there. According to him, the sky is incredible and very clear. That said, does it make a big difference when viewing planets and constellations? I have never used my telescope elsewhere. Does it help when viewing deep sky objects as well? I am located in the Austin, TX area.

Thank you!

#2 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2958 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 21 October 2013 - 12:03 PM

You would need to try it out to find out for sure, but I believe you would be able to see a lot more. Taking away the background light pollution will allow a lot of detail in things to show up as well as dimmer objects that simply get drowned out. My sister lives in Round Rock and my daughter lived in Leander for a while. I could not see the Milky Way from their houses. If you cannot see it from where you live, I promise you will have a better view farther away from town.

Bill Steen
Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

#3 Skipper_52

Skipper_52

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationRoselle, Il

Posted 21 October 2013 - 04:32 PM

I agree. Viewing in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan is so much better. I remember seeing a Global Cluster with the unaided eye as a blurry small cloud and only realized what it was when I turned the scope on it. My eyes were much better then. Light pollution hasn't really hit it up there yet. The nearest large town.. Escanaba is about 45 miles away and appears as a dull glow over the tree across the bay.

#4 Mcoupe2000

Mcoupe2000

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 05:13 AM

Thank you....I cannot see the Milky Way from my location. I need to stay out at least 1 hour for my eyes to adjust and then I can see it faintly at best. He mentioned that from his ranch, he sees it perfectly fine. I will go ahead and report the difference if anyone is interested.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users