No replies to this topic

#1 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2958 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 18 October 2013 - 06:46 PM

"Discover the Moon," by Jean LaCroux and Christian LeGrand, Cambridge University Press, purchased through Amazon.

I read a recommendation for nice Moon book on another forum and thought I would buy a couple copies. One copy is for me and another one for my granddaughters. I have worked over one of the NG 60s that were on sale, doing the little things I do to improve contrast, etc., and put about five plossle eyepieces and a 2X Barlow with it. Books are in order, with copies of Sky and Telescope's Pocket Sky Atlas and Turn Left at Orion. I wanted an introductory book about the Moon, and this one see seemed to fit the description.

The book was originally written in French, but the translation is very good. Some of the word choices are a bit different than I normally see, but they add a certain flavor to the book that I enjoyed reading.

The book is soft cover, 6 by 9 inches and about 3/8 of an inch thick. There is a print of the Moon in reverse on the inside front cover and a print in the normal fashion on the rear. The book is well organized, has an introductory section in front, and has a section on some things to observe each day during the first half of a lunation. I think it will be just about right for the girls, but still has some meat in places for a more experienced observer. There are lots of pictures of everything discussed. They are not necessarily pristine images, but are at about the resolution a person would see visually with a good scope. The idea seems to be to give the new astronomer a better chance of recognizing what he/she is searching for.

I plan on setting up sometime in the next year, when I can get myself set up correctly with my schedule, and go through the fourteen days. I might even get up early in the morning and do the last half of the lunation that they talk about, but not in detail.

I am glad I made the purchase.

Bill Steen
Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users