• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 moxxyman

moxxyman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 05:47 PM

Hi.Does Meade have a feedback path for suggested improvements to the LX600 firmware??I have had my LX600 for two months. I was astounded at the amount of gear slack I have with the declination. After moving upwards, If I pressed the down arrow (using "Guide Rate") on the handset, I had to wait seven seconds before the telescope actually responded to the "Down" move order.I tried to get rid of the gear slack using the "Train Drives" option. You have to hit enter when the view slews back to re-centre a star. The problem is the slew rate is extremely fast. So fast, as to prevent a precise reaction as to when the object actually hits the centre point of view. This is made worse when using an imager with an update rate of one second. If the telescope slewed across to the centre point at the "Guide rate", this would be solved. As it is, the slew rate for "Train Drives" is significantly greater than the "Guide Rate", as to make a precise centering virtually impossible. Surely this must be fairly easily resolved with just a minor adjustment to the firmware. Please can the "Train Drives" slew rate be adjusted to the "Guide Rate". Clear Skies....Wayne (UK)

#2 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2809 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 18 October 2013 - 06:08 PM

I think one of the engineers has started monitoring the forum for things like this. They probably need to know about the amount of slack you are experiencing as well. I will get a message to someone I know to read your post.

Bill Steen
Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

#3 moxxyman

moxxyman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 02:47 AM

Many thanks Bill. The new telescope is absolutely wonderful outside of this problem. I have had Meade telescopes for the last 10 plus years. The LX600 is a real improvement. Just that slew rate for the "Train Drives" function is the only shortfall. With a DSI II, the slack in the declination gearing train often means my centering of an object is off the chip. Fortunately, my RA gearing is pretty tight, so I only have the problem in the dec axis.

#4 moxxyman

moxxyman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 02:35 AM

Still no further action on this problem. It seems a telescope specifically tailored with Astrophotography in mind should have a much slower slew rate for the train drives function. A bit of an "Own Goal" here... Has anyone managed to override the slew rate in train drives for a slower rate??

Wayne Byrne

#5 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2809 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 19 January 2014 - 06:22 AM

Hi Wayne,

I will see if I can run a flag up the flag pole.

Bill Steen
Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

#6 Mark Sibole

Mark Sibole

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2368 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 07:18 AM

With any new mount if you havnt done so yet you will need to do a train and calibrate drives run on the mount to eliminate any peridic error or gear slack.Once the train and calibrate drives is done then i would do an initial PEC train then do 2 more after that.This will bring down the PEC to a tolerable level and eliminate most if not all of the grar slack you are having.At least this is the way we did the LX200-LX90 and LXD 75 mounts in the past.All mounts do have some play in the gears and will need to be trained out.
Mark Sibole
MTSO Observatory
Fife Lake, Mi.

http://astronomy.qteaser.com

#7 Mark Sibole

Mark Sibole

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2368 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 07:20 AM

Also do the initial training with a 12.5 mm crosshair EP as the dsi chip is just to small for this.Then you can do the PEC trains with the DSI II.
Mark Sibole
MTSO Observatory
Fife Lake, Mi.

http://astronomy.qteaser.com

#8 moxxyman

moxxyman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 01:14 PM

Many thanks. All good advice.
Once the UK has come out of the soggy weather, I'll try it again.
Clear skies
Wayne (UK)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users