• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Pentax Syntax

Pentax Syntax

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 02:32 PM

I was wondering if anyone had any tips for making the PST view directly comparable with a white light view (Baader film of course). I find that if I use my ETX-125 in straight through mode, the view is comparable to the view in the PST. However, this is literally a pain in the neck and I was wondering what solutions others use. At outreach events, I think it would be great to make them comparable so that sun spots would correspond.

#2 Mark Sibole

Mark Sibole

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2368 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 11:51 AM

you can get a basic white light image from the PST if you just detune the Ha.With tuning you can reveal flares and surface detail.If you want the standard white light view just detune it.I do it all the time.
Mark Sibole
MTSO Observatory
Fife Lake, Mi.

http://astronomy.qteaser.com

#3 Pentax Syntax

Pentax Syntax

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 09:35 AM

Thanks Mark,

I do often detune to get the white light image as you suggest.  While I love my PST, at outreach events most people find the white light view compelling and then when they look in the PST they are confused by the different pattern.  When I use a refractor with a Hershel wedge, things are confusing in a different way.  Other than using a video monitor I am still trying to make things work.

Thanks again for responding.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users