• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ronb7

ronb7

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 10:25 AM

I am a rank beginner, on a very thin, post retirement budget. Therefore, I was ecstatic when I learned about the special sale price, on the NG60 scope.
I subsequently puchased one, and I am quite pleased with the scope, itself.

However, I find that the view finder is of very limited use. The lens of the finder is darkened, which I assume, is for anti-glare purposes?? As a result, I am unable to see anything but the very brightest objects, through the finder.

I later realized that this finder scope may be intended for day time use, such as bird watching, etc.??
Can anyone confirm my suspicion, or if my assumption is incorrect, explain the correct reason for my problem?? I could not find any info in the instruction manual, or elsewhere, on this subject.

Thanks much,
a "newbie"

#2 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2958 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 03 October 2013 - 04:03 PM

The finder on this scope may very well be darker than those on other models, since the scope is intended for multiple uses.

Here is the best trick that I know for making it work with astronomical targets. (My NG-60s and 70s have this same problem)

You cannot see objects directly through the darkened surface. What you have to do is look at some object in the day time with both eyes, then work the scope in the way of your left one. When the red dot seems to be in the same spot as the distant object, then look through the eyepiece. and center the object in the main telescope. Then go back to the finder and see how far it is off. Make an adjustment to the finder and re-center the red dot on the object and look through the telescope again. Keep doing this until the red dot of the finder is on top of the distant object AS YOU LOOK AT IT WITH YOUR OTHER EYE, and the object is centered in your telescope field as well.

Then, when you look at a star, blank spot in the sky where you think an object might be, etc., look with both eyes at the spot and bring the red dot into the view until it sits on top of the spot your are looking at. You will not see anything through the little window of the finder, most likely. Then look through the telescope and the object should be in the field, assuming you got the alignment correct and the finder has not moved on you.

One thing I did on one scope that also helped is that I moved the whole finder rig up on the left side of the scope, drilled a couple of new small holes, and mounted the finder on the side of the scope and about in the middle of the length of the scope. I could then go down on one knee and look use the finder, rather then trying to stand on my head.

On a new NG 60 that I purchased, I am considering moving the finder a touch farther up the scope tube. Sometimes, as the finder is moved up the length, a small counter weight may need to be installed on the scope tube, (maybe a coin taped on) to keep the scope relatively balanced. The big thing is that the scope need to stay in place when there is no eyepiece. If the balance of the scope is adjusted until it will just barely stay in place with no eyepiece, then a 32 mm plossl can be used or a barlow lens and a shorter focal length eyepiece. With the most adjustment you can make to the balance, I do not think the scope could handle a 32mm eyepiece AND a barlow lens.

Hope this helps! Holler back if it does not.

Best Regards,

Bill Steen
Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users