21 replies to this topic

#21 McDoggin

McDoggin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX.

Posted 17 October 2013 - 06:35 PM

I got to go out briefly tonight before it clouded up and I am now 5/5 on the new alignment procedure. To summarize (in case someone else has this same issue) this is what I have been doing: 1) level the scope using a bulls eye bubble level. This now takes 2-3 minutes and typically I only adjust two legs of the tripod. 2) I find Polaris (in the finder scope) and then slew the scope down until the eyepiece bubble level centers. 3) I enter my exact time and GPS coordinates into the handset. 4) I run the "easy" alignment routine using true north. So far this has worked every time I have tried it. If Polaris is not visable then I would use Matroskin's technique and point the scope to magnetic north and then adjust the compass heading according to the magnetic variation map and then run "easy" alignment using true north. I plan to try this method out since from one of my observation spots Polaris is not visible.

Since I am very curious about Matroskin's UHC filter and camera I am starting a new topic "LT accessories". That way I wont pollute this discussion with my questions...
  • Matroskin likes this

#22 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2800 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 18 October 2013 - 06:27 PM

Using an older 497 handset model on my DS scopes, I have used the method you describe quite successfully over the years.

With the DS scopes, having a good handle on gear training is also a must. That item is probably much more important with the DS since it is a lower level scope with less quality control in the gearing.

Another thing that I try to do with my DS scopes is to make sure an object is centered in my field of view just before I leave it. I then hold down the upper left button for about three seconds, I think, then release it. The handset beeps at me and I press the button again. The system then uses that point as another entry in the alignment of the scope. Following that process, I have had as many as ten object in a row come up within the field of view directly with the command to move to the new object.

If you have any issues with things getting off a little as the night goes on, try that little trick.

Bill Steen
Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: lt

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users