8 replies to this topic

#1 rat156

rat156

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 03:41 PM

Hi,

I recently bought a used LS8 for a friend and thought that I should test it before giving it to him.

The first night I turned it on, it boot OK, went to do the level north thing, but when "finding north" would stop slewing very quickly and drop out of the alignment procedure.

Figuring that this may be some corrupt software I decided that I should upgrade the software to 1.6a.

I connected the scope to a computer via the USB and set about upgrading the software to 1.6a. When I got to the stage of power cycling the LS, it comes back on, but with nothing displayed on the handbox, the scope is now unresponsive and doesn't come up on the computer as a USB to serial adapter anymore.

I figure I'll have to load the software from an SD card, so, after I get a mini SD card, where do I get the software from as ASU doesn't recognise that I have a scope connected anymore?

Cheers
Stuart

#2 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2936 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 23 September 2013 - 04:39 PM

Hi Stuart,

Welcome to the forum! From the ASU, you should be able to save the program to the mini SD card without your scope being hooked up. My scope came with version 1.4, I think, which could not communicate directly to a computer or be recognized by anything. I had to do just that, make a card to plug into the telescope, plug it in the slot, then turn on the scope. The scope sensed the new card and started up. At this point, I cannot run ASU on my computer and confirm that it still works that way. I have an XP machine and it will not run that program after they upgraded it to run on Windows 7.

You might want to call the Customer Support 1-800 number and talk to them in case I am not correct.

I have not had to do anything with my LS8 for several years, so anyone out there with fresh knowledge, please speak up.

Bill Steen
Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

#3 rat156

rat156

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 07:18 PM

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the reply.

I'm in Australia, so the 1800 number is not really an option.

I'll have another look at ASU to see if I can find the option.

Cheers
Stuart

#4 aoseesink

aoseesink

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationMainz, Germany

Posted 24 September 2013 - 06:11 AM

Hi! I has the same heart stopping experience on my LS6. Hardest part to fix that is to get hold of a fitting SD card where you can start the upgrade from. The ASU software will happily download the firmware and create a SD card for the restoring process.

Keep calm... it's nor broken yet... :)

#5 rat156

rat156

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 03:29 PM

Thanks.

Now can someone give me instructions as to how to get ASU to download the firmware and make an SD card.

Cheers
Stuart

#6 gunfighter48

gunfighter48

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 28 September 2013 - 05:36 PM

You have to use a Mini SD card or Mini SD card adapter. It can't be over 2GB in capacity. If you can get a Mini SD adapter it can use a micro sd card but not over 2GB capacity. The LS series can't use a standard SD card. You should be able to have the backup program save the firmware to the mini sd or micro sd card. Either the micro sd card or the mini should work in your computer.

http://www.amazon.co...sl_5okmk48y6e_b

#7 rat156

rat156

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 07:22 PM

OK, I now have a mini SD card, but ASU will not let me make a card. I'm running ASU on two different Macs, one running Win in emulation, one running it under bootcamp. Any ideas?

Cheers
Stuart

#8 gunfighter48

gunfighter48

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 01 October 2013 - 02:04 PM

Here's a link to the "ASU SOFTWARE UPDATE INSTRUCTIONS - LS TELESCOPE"

http://www.meade.com...6-Oct-2009).pdf

Hope this is of some help. My computers are all PCs and the formatting has to be PC format. I have no experience with Mac's.

#9 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2936 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 02 October 2013 - 04:35 PM

Hi Stuart,

All Meade software is written for a PC. The current version of the ASU is set up to run on Windows 7. I have not been able to run it on Windows XP, which is all that I have.

I have not heard of ASU working on a MAC running in a PC environment. I am confident it will not run under the normal MAC environment at all.

If you know someone with a PC with Windows 7, I suggest that you see if they will let you make the SD card on it.

Bill Steen
Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users