Jump to content


Photo

STARLOCK UTILITY program problem


  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 moxxyman

moxxyman

    Member

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 09:04 AM

Hi all. My LX600 is brand new, having received it only last Monday. When I start the Starlock utility program, I can connect to it . When I start the focus routine, I get an "Exposing" message. This is where it all goes wrong. The "Exposing" message just stays there and there is no image on the screen which shows me what the Starlock is looking at even after 30 minutes. In addition, I get a warning that a max of 80 characters should be used. I note the filename window has filled with letter "i"'s. I can delete them but they come back. I have re-installed the latest prolific drivers and confirmed the com port selection is correct. I am using windows 7 64 bit. I can communicate with the telescope with the pec tool. The instructions for the Starlock seem to be missing something. I have followed the connection instructions very carefully. I just cant seem to get the Starlock program to work. Any help here would be appreciated. Clear skies Wayne (UK)

#2 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

    Advanced Member

  • Administrators
  • 2828 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 08 September 2013 - 09:35 AM

Hello, moxxyman, and welcome to the Forum!

I do not have one of these scopes and do not know anything about it. I just wanted to respond to your message and let you know that someone has read it. I will try to watch and see if you get a response, but I could get side tracked. If you do not get an answer in a few days, send me a private message and I will inquire.

If you were in the US, there is a toll-free number to Customer Service that you could call. In the UK, I think the official route is through your distributor. Hopefully, someone with knowledge about this kind of issue will post. But, this does sound like an issue that needs to go to your distributor, especially with a scope that is just out of the box.

Hope this helps!

Bill Steen
Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

#3 moxxyman

moxxyman

    Member

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 11:55 AM

Many thanks Bill. I'll send an email to Telescope House (the vendor) and see if it pulls anything useful. I have tried the Starlock Utility program on a windows 7 32 bit O.S. also, but it behaved exactly the same. If I get time tomorrow, I'll try it with a completely different USB adaptor and cable, though, the one I am using now works perfectly on my old LX200GPS.Clear skies Wayne (UK)

#4 gspie

gspie

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts
  • LocationScottsdale, Arizona

Posted 08 September 2013 - 02:19 PM

you should also try to contact Meade Support -- they may have a solution.
LX850 with 10" ACF OTA and Takahashi FS 60C OTA -- SBIG STT-8300M CCD with FW8G-STT Self Guiding Filter Wheel and SBIG AO-8 Adaptive Optics -- Camera Control and Image Calibration with Maxim DL/CCD Pro, Image processing with PixInsight, and final composition with Photoshop CS5

http://home.comcast....ie/astroweb.htm

#5 cgordo5

cgordo5

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 06:53 PM

Hi moxxyman,

I'm also running WIndows 7 64 bit and saw the same symptoms you report. However, they are not a problem. I played with the exposure, zoom, and contrast settings and then I started seeing an image. Also, I did this in the daylight in my garage and it was easier to see the image because of the extra brightness. When I took it outside at night it worked correctly for stars.

Charles

#6 moxxyman

moxxyman

    Member

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 10:25 AM

Hi all. I also played about with the exposure settings, but I couldn't get an image of any description. I also note Meade's specification concerning the LX600, states the telescope comes with Smart Mount and focus lock. I have no Smart Mount headings in the menus on my handbox, and, of course, no focus lock. http://www.meade.com...ations#lx600-12 Come on Meade.......sort it out.

#7 cgordo5

cgordo5

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 07:46 AM

Make sure you have installed the latest versions of the software and hardware. The stuff on the CD that comes with the LX600 is out of date. You can get the latest here:
http://meade.com/software-manuals

Charles

#8 moxxyman

moxxyman

    Member

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 09:48 AM

Eventually solved it. I saved the starlock utility to the Meade directory. Tried it again an all was well. Many thanks to all, Wayne (UK)




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users